Braising torch needed

Do we have a braising torch at DMS…? I need to braise a couple of pieces of brass…

No, the metal shop is not allowed to because of the fire marshall. You can bring one in but it cannot leave your sight for even a second. Seriously roll it into the bathroom with you.

If the piece is small you might check with JSM they have a couple torch types that might work.

If you are asking about oxy/acetylene we do not.

Is working with brass like that allowed? (Zinc…)

I’m not sure as I’m not signed off on anything in JSM. I just saw some torches over there that would be technically capable of doing small work if it was allowed.

I’ve never heard of brazing brass being an issue. A quick looksee found this, Zinc vaporizes at 1600F that is way below brazing temps so I would say not an issue and is why I’ve not heard anything:

Until you combine it with this post…

Because of the temps involved:

This is assuming you’re running full heat and heating your part to that. Brazing brass parts you tend to not heat your parts nearly that high.
Your brass will be softening (near liquifying) by that temperature.

melting point of a typical brass is around 930°C (1710°F)

Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

This really isn’t about temps at all. Its about the management of gas cylinders and fire running free in the shop.

Not to mention shop hygiene etc

I know that’s why we don’t have oxy/acetylene torches here… but I was more worried about the zinc and temps.

1 Like

Thanks all - @dougbcave thanks Doug. He lent me his setup…

it’s can be tricky but not impossible…

3 Likes