Bottle stopper accessories

Hi everyone.
I’m intending to make bottle stopper tomorrow and was wondering if all of the necessary parts are there. From what I see on YouTube it’s basically a piece that is threaded. If not I’m heading to rockler and can pick one up.

1 Like

Do you mean the turning accessories? Because if you mean the parts of the stopper itself, we wouldn’t have anything like that unless you stumble across a scrap of wood that you like.

Unlike making pens, for a bottle stopper I think that a drill bit should be the only thing you need. If you buy a bottle stopper kit (or components) , from someplace like Rockler or Woodcraft, it should tell you what size drill bit you need (probably 6mm or 11/32"). We may or may not have that … depends on what size you need.

If you want to make it with just wood and cork, here is a good article from Woodcraft on how to do that. That requires only a 3/8" drill bit, which you should be able to find at DMS.

1 Like

Ok cool. I should have clarified, I’ve got the metal piece and the wood. I just wanted to check and see if dms had the threading tool and the threaded part that holds the blank.

I’ll look around when I’m up there next.

I’m guessing you’re looking for 3/8"-16tpi?

@talkers … do you know if we have a self-tapping 3/8-16 threaded mandrel?

1 Like

Yes I just checked the stopper and it does in fact use 3/8" x 16tpi.

We have one thing for bottle stoppers, but I am not sure what it is. There are a few variations and I have not investigated.

As popular as they are, and as friendly to turn with wee bits of pretty wood, it would be worthwhile for the MakerSpace to invest in the accessories to make them.
@Azalaket

5 Likes

Agree. IMO they are much easier than pens, and require less equipment. A great beginner project.

EDIT: A seam ripper is another good beginner project (but requires an 8mm drill /bushing).

2 Likes

Totally agree. I use a mandrel made by Ruth Niles. I couldn’t be happier with it. She now makes one that threads directly onto the headstock which might be good for us since it’s pretty apprentice-proof. I use one of the mortise taper models with a draw bar and it works really well also. There are a bunch of options- they’re all pretty cheap.

(side note: her stainless stopper hardware is pretty great too)

https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/woodturning

1 Like

All of this sounds awesome. How does one go about getting the makerspace to invest in tools and parts like this? I’m new here but would love to join a committee at some point. For now tho, I’ll see if I can’t find the part you were talking about talkers.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

2 Likes

Posting here is a great start. Talking to Chairperson is the next step. If you can justify it, like point to a strong interest ( the people responding on talk) or organise a class around it, they will agreed if possible*.

Some constraints may be lack of space. I could justify a 6 station two platen screen press, but we don’t have room.