Bolt-together AR-15 receiver

A very simple design, requiring less milling than a solid block design.

1 Like

I remember seeing that several years ago floating around.

I’m wondering at what point it would cross the ATF 80% metric and become a “gun”.

1 Like

That only applies if it is sold, right?

Depends on the legal definitions I suspect. Are there guidelines for an assembled receiver?

Yes and no…

Federally, if you are legally able to buy the gun, then you can legally build the gun. Without proper licensing, you can NOT build a gun with the purpose of selling it.

That said, current DMS rules prevent us from building guns or gun parts.

1 Like

This is a sticky question according to my understanding of the ATF’s rule. Basically you have to submit your design to them for approval that it is less than 80%. If you don’t they have the power to dispute your percentage and you would have to win in court. Of course it would be a criminal trial rather than a civil trial.

Russell Ward

You can sue for declaratory judgement.

How do you convince a jury that there is less than 80% of the work completed? When you ask for “permission” they are a little bit inclined to bequeath it. If they think that you are trying to slip one by them - probably not so much.

With a standard manufacturing process it is a lot easier to have an impartial opinion of what is 80%. Of course if you do everything there is no 80% involved. The problem with the “Bolt-together AR-15 Receiver” is that there are parts that would be difficult to make required in this design. It looks to me to really make this “Bolt-together AR-15 Receiver” you have to buy parts that aren’t easily made by the target audience.

Russell

The whole assembly can be made with a knee mill.

If you are going to make it on a knee mill why not make a proper receiver instead of a kludge?

Russell

To avoid prosecution I suppose.

If you make the entire receiver on your own mill there is nothing to avoid. It is only an issue if other peoples equipment is involved.

Russell

One reason to build it this way is it’s function is not as obvious when disassembled. Makes transporting it much easier.