Board Meeting for Writers Org?

All right, I hope this isn’t hugely off base - but I didn’t want to submit an event request without doing a diplomatic fly-check first.

So I head up a 501©3 organization called WORD (Writers Organizations ‘Round Dallas) whose purpose is to list, promote, and facilitate collaboration between the HUGE number of writers’ groups we have here in North Texas. (We’ve got over 30 in our network so far, and are still finding more.) And man, I am tired of our board members trying to holler at each other over the slammin’ beats and nacholicious hamdogs at Boston’s.

It would be unbelievably rad to reserve the DMS Conference Room for our quarterly board meetings. But I wanted to ask first, since the meetings wouldn’t be open to DMS membership: is that kind of classroom usage allowed? I feel like WORD’s activities fit pretty nicely with the DMS mission statement - but we have no formal relation (other than my membership), and I like to get to at least the second date before I make a giant ass of myself. What’s your feeling, Classroom Committeers?

4 Likes

The conference room once a quarter strikes me as reasonable - particularly for another non-profit.

@Team_Education thoughts?

6 Likes

Thank you for asking.

We allow reserving rooms for private events and as long as you are not doing it several times a month, nobody will even notice.

Be aware that a DMS member must be present, so technically, if you or another DMS member cannot make a meeting, it is not allowed to happen.

5 Likes

Adding to Bill’s comment. I don’t see a problem either based on facts presented.

Would like to also mention:

• As hosting member you are responsible for your guests.
  • Be sure to have someone at the front door to let them in
  • Make sure they sign the waiver.

Beyond that - hope it is a success and we may get some new members!

4 Likes

Or teach classes on writing. You’d be a hero!

3 Likes

There have been several writing group efforts over the past 2 or 3 years. They are hard sustain. As Bill said, some classes would great. maybe your organization would like to host some of these here at DMS. That would be fantastic.

3 Likes

If the meeting is during normal business hours, you might want to use the Lecture Hall or Purple Classroom. The Conference Room is often used by our bookkeeper MWF 10-6.

2 Likes

I agree. Please note Bill and David’s comments, then go ahead and book it.

2 Likes

One other thing: be sure to give them a tour and show them how to sign up. Give them a fob even if they aren’t sure … just in case!

2 Likes

Oh, that is really kind. Thanks, y’all! (And no worries - I will be present and responsible for them from first to last - I got to attend two tours and several DMS events as a guest before I became a member, so following standard protocol for visitors won’t be a problem at all.)

And wow - I didn’t realize there was a demand for writing classes, but that is so right up my alley it doesn’t even touch the sides. @Photomancer, I saw your thread from about six months ago about starting up a critique group, which sounded like a terrific idea - if you still have any interest in that direction, let me know. For one thing, there’s a brand-new org called the Carrollton Writers Group right nearby - they asked me to come speak at their kickoff in September, so I’ll be able to get in there and ask them if they know about the wonders and marvels of the DMS. I’m amazed you aren’t already drowning in writers, and happy to add to your efforts!

2 Likes

We have writers, the problem has always been getting a time where there were enough to consistently show up.

Win Shield’s class “How to Write for TV” is very well attended. They fill up the Interactive room every Monday.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6853

We have had a few others come and go.

And that annoying thing where you sign up for a regular meeting, and like magic it turns off the tap and no more words come out…