Blender 2.8 Released

In case you haven’t been watching recent developments, Blender 2.8 has been in Beta for a while now. The official release has finally arrived. If you are into 3d software, I highly recommend checking it out; I started using the beta a while back and I love it. From what I’ve seen, it’s better than the previous versions in almost every way. If you’ve used older versions of Blender, it will take a lot of getting used to, but it is definitely worth the effort.

2 Likes

I have been considering teaching a class that focuses on the changes made between 2.79 and 2.8. This would be aimed at anybody who is used to the old interface and wants to find out where their favorite hotkeys and menus have run off to. I’m not sure how many people are familiar with the old interface though. Does this sound like it might be a class that anybody is interested in?

I’d love to see a beginner class for 2.8 that has a goal. As in go thru how to design something, not just a high speed review of the many many hotkeys. Knowing what the hotkey is for a function you don’t yet understand is less than optimum…

The project have to be something simple, of course. Blender has a STEEP initial learning curve.

I took a class on a previous version and got exactly nowhere with it. I had recently started back trying again and found the youtube videos by Blender Guru. Was making progress, so if course, 2.8 drops.

Start over. Again. :slight_smile:

He has already put out a new hotkey cheat sheet for 2.8. ( for those interested, subscribe to his mailing list. ) Helpful if you’re just getting started. Hopefully his videos will get a rework for 2.8 soon as well.

Blender 2.8 is a lot more beginner friendly than 2.7 was. It brought in a lot of presets and defaults that remove much of the confusion. “Select” is now left click as the default, instead of right click, for example.

I think I’ve decided that generalized Blender classes have far too wide a scope to be very useful. Any class I teach on it from now on will probably be based around a very narrow and specific theme, ignoring most of its features.

1 Like

A series approach might be workable.

Basic navigation, viewpoints, lighting.

Then object creation and manipulation.

Then materials and textures.

Combine as needed to get good class lenghts.

Sounds like a great idea. I have it loaded on the digital media computers if you’d like to use them

a single class isnt generally enough time to learn to use blender. it sucks but the only way to actually get useful at blender is to commit to one of those youtube 20 hour video series on, like, how to make a plate with a pink frosted donut. teaching a class or several classes would be such a sunk cost in comparison to a person just working through the openly available study exercises.

I believe there is already a weekly meeting / sig / office hours where people can get quick tutoring on a problem they’re having on any specfiic project? unless i’m wrong.

also the changes between 2.7 and 2.8 imho would not deem a specialized class. just a single document. i’m already caught up and it took barely a single sit down.