Blacksmith and woodshop permission

I have been trained in blacksmithing at brookhaven college by Kelly Kring and I have had the prior training from the Makerspace to use the wood craft machines. I had a few years break in
using Makerspace. I am having a difficult time getting into the intro classes to Qualify to use the machines again. I am essentially paying membership dues for a space I can not use. What are my options?

my contact number is 469 826 5583

@Team_Woodshop @Team_Blacksmithing are the folks who can help you with your permissions. I’ve copied them on this email. Obviously, there are safety requirements for both areas, but if you’ve been certified before I hope it won’t be too difficult to requalify if necessary.

Please remember that DMS is an all volunteer organization and teachers, committe members and BOD leadership are all giving of their time to manage the organization. You could always go to a committee meeting and talk to the leaderhip there.

On another note, I met Kelly Kring at the Texas Forging Festival Forging Texas Festival – TX-Ture Farm and subsequently signed up for his Beginner Blacksmithing class in January at Brookhaven.
How would you rate the class?

1 Like

For Woodshop:

I have another class that should go live soon [Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar]

Also, there are a couple of guys that have offered to do 1-on-1/small classes @j801496 & @Youssefb

For other options, I would reach out to the committee chairs and see what accommodations can be made. I would also suggest that once you have access and feel comfortable with the tools in that area, please consider teaching the required classes to get access to those tools - ultimately having more access to intro classes requires more teachers/volunteers.

2 Likes

I would rate Kelly as one of the best instructors in this area he’s a great blacksmith. I’m planning on being at the space tonight and I can do one on one training for you.

1 Like

Thanks Joe, but unfortunately I’m expected to watch the Dallas Cowboys tonigh with my family. Really, my wife is an avid fan. I WAS a fan before Jerry J took over, but now I just watch with my family. I wouldn’t buy a ticket even though my wife wants to see the stadium.

Truth is the NFL is all about money now and not about being role models for kids, espousing good values and leadership excellence. It is all about making hundreds of millions of dollars for throwing a football.

Maybe you’d be interested in setting up a time in the future to do 1-1 training? I’m particularly interested in knife making as you’re already aware, but I want to learn all of the basics, too.

Meh

My husband can teach you a one on one on Tuesday the 7th at 6:30 pm if you would like. Otherwise, you can come to the open forge on Sunday, December 12th, and see if someone will be able to teach you. The committee meeting is also on the 14th if you will want to go to that and I can teach you after the committee meeting.

We will have another induction forge/kmg class closer to the middle of the month when I can find a day on the schedule.

I look forward to meeting you.
Bri

1 Like

Have you tried your fob on the woodshop machines? And, did you reactivate your account, or start a brand new one?

Mr. dryad:
I did start a new account; however, the old account kept re-surfacing. No, I didn’t check the new fob;however, I recently found the old one.

You should have reactivated the old account. All your old permissions are sitting on the old account. (Well – I assume that – I didn’t check Active Directory). Fobs themselves are deactivated when the account goes dormant, and then you link any fob you’ve got at hand to your account. @team_infrastructure is going to be cursing your name, but they should be able to work with this.