Bisque Doll Parts

I bought some doll parts on craigslist to use as Halloween decorations after they had been fake bloodied up. After I got them, I noticed that they weren’t cheap knock offs. It looks like they’re from the mid/late 80s. There are a couple 6" Elke Hutchins, 4" Grace Putnam, 4" Cagley, lots of legs, arms, etc.

I’ve done a bit of looking around on Fleabay, and it looks like the bigger heads are worth about 20 bucks going down in price from there. Obviously that’s the list price, not what they’re selling for.

Before I spray paint them, and generally destroy them, I wanted to see if these are run of the mill doll parts or not. I suspect these aren’t anything special, and I’m good to bloody them up, but I know nothing about these things.

Can anyone shed some light on whether someone would be upset if I gave them Dia de los Muertos paint jobs.

Let’s add some pics -=)

1 Like

Yeah, those are screaming Halloween!!!

Let the paint jobs begin!

Did you search for completed/sold auctions on eBay? I would do that to get an idea of price and/or post to a doll Facebook group. If there is a market for them and you post on a Facebook group that you intend to spray paint them, that should get people’s attention lol.

2 Likes

I did, and they range from 5 to 10 bucks at the most for the larger heads and torsos.

They look like they’ve been under Grammy’s bed for 20 years. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t about to paint over something nice just because I got them for 40 bucks.

1 Like

I had a beautiful collection of doll hands. When my kiddo was super tiny he got angry and dumped them over. He apologized. Good creep find.

1 Like

I wonder if you could use paint in a way so that you can remove it later, Thick latex will often peel off

I second the suggestion of checking a doll fb group, plus they could point you to the analogous selling group if not the same. Some of those have good value. A nice find if you wanted to make a little money selling them.

Then for your sacrificial doll parts, I think i saw some doll heads and maybe parts up at Scrap in Denton the other day (could call) in the middle aisle with other weird ephemera, plus most second hand stores have a large bin of dolls for next to nothing

Since they are ceramic, you could paint them then after you are finished, fire them to 900 degrees and cook the paint off. Might leave some residue, might not.

1 Like

Do the parts go with the heads? It seems a shave to mess them up

It might be fun to make some dolls with them with either fabric or
leather bodies

Resurrecting this thread. Heh get it? I am done with these parts and don’t intend to store them for next Halloween. If someone is interested in them, let me know. If they haven’t been claimed by Saturday, they will go on the exchange shelf.

A few of them were broken during a hasty cleanup by the kids, but 90% were unscathed.

1 Like

I have a bunch of doll heads in my garden. I would love to add to the collection.
Are you going on the MakerCrawl on Saturday?

I won’t be, but will be at the space most of Saturday. As long as you want the parts I won’t put them on the shelf. I’ll bring them with me and we can find a good time to get together.

If someone has a better plan for baby heads besides “pile of heads in a corner” you can totally go with them. I don’t know if I’m going to stop at the space before heading up to Denton. My life is taking over right now - but we will find some time.

I’ve been busy with the Lemons race and haven’t followed up with this. The wifey wants these out of the house. These may end up on the exchange shelf.

Understood - dollheads are not worth burning marriage points.

2 Likes

Let me know if they do, i will snag them up

1 Like

If they are porcelain and old they could be worth some change. You should do some reasearch before you dump them.

I will be at the space tomorrow afternoon, probably around 1230 or 1. If you want them, I have some storage near the woodshop that I can store them in until you are able to snag them. If they’re still there the next time I’m at the space, I’ll put them on the exchange shelf. They will be in 2 clear bins about 12 inches tall, very difficult to miss.

1 Like