Big Thunder offline 2022/10/5 -- until at least this weekend

Big Thunder is offline, likely until this weekend (Oct 8-9th).

@cvrana and I ran into @ladysandry who asked about the small note on the control panel. We took a look and the head is completely ruined (looks like fire-related damage, the outside is covered in carbon, the air hose is melted into the head assembly, and then the lens is completely shattered with a hole through it). Will plan on coming back up this weekend to try and replace things to get Big Thunder operational again. In the mean time, I’ve left the lens tube laying on the bed and will be putting an “out of order” sign on Big Thunder.

5 Likes

Yeah also, we’re working on tracking down the time and cause of the second fire. If it was you, send me a DM and we can talk.

Chris

2 Likes

Jesus. Any luck? Idk how anyone could have that much of a fire to damage that much and not say a word.

I’m up at the space today. Took PTO and had planned on some hobbying but can also help with repairs if there’s anything I can be given direction on to help?

1 Like

Nope, it needs new parts that we’re in the process of ordering.

Well, not everyone is on Talk. I know when I’m teaching Hot Process Safety, I stress that folks should sign up for Talk, and read enough so that they can post. Because all the committees count on people being able to communicate damages through Talk.

2 Likes

This is valid. When I was a newer member I wasn’t active on the board so it might not have been the immediate thought.
But even so, there are other options like leaving a note with explaination and/or contact info. I would have been mortified at having damaged equipment that belongs to someone else (a nonprofit community at that).
Damage happens (usually when precautions aren’t followed, but that aside) and it’s a part of life. I just want people to behave more responsibly and with more care for the space.

I don’t want my frustration to be misconstrued into anything that would limit folks from voicing issues though. DMS means a lot to me personally so I can get a bit passionate, lol.
*quietly steps away from soapbox.

4 Likes

Another fire….FFS

Was that damage from the fire? Was there 2 fires?

It certainly appears so. Damage to the air hose could only have been done by fire exposure because the plastic tube is completely melted. We’ve had at least three people look at it since the first fire and none of us noticed it until I found it on Wedneday, and it is very obvious. If none of us noticed it, it wasn’t there.

Ergo, second fire.

1 Like

@skyspook and I took a stab at getting this figured out.

We’ve replaced the entire laser tube wholesale, including the lens and mirror associated with it as well. We’ve checked the power settings and the alignment as well, and Big Thunder should be back to a working condition as of this afternoon.

8 Likes

What does laser do with the old laser tubes? I suspect that the folks in science could convert them to flowing gas or refill them for “experiments”

I’m holding onto at least one for a display/educational piece. Beyond that I don’t think we have too many uses for them in laser once they’ve been burnt through.

1 Like

Laser tube = focusing tube and air guide. In this instance :slight_smile:

Think we have an actual CO2 tube the we took out of donner, but we wanted to mount that one somewhere.

1 Like

Worlds most fragile wind chimes!

1 Like

I just tried using big thunder only laser operation for cutting… not operational at all… I assume the repair never happened since there have been no updates to the thread. I’ll be up at the space on Saturday to help before or after my class at 10 am if needed.