Best Choice in Collapsable/Stowable/Portable Propane Burners

In my opinion, boiling water is pointless.
RO makes more sense, it works without power. If you lose water pressure, you would have lost it if you had a propane burner too so the solution would be water storage, if you’re storing potable water, you don’t need to boil it.

Now if your goal is to have a burner for cooking, that’s a different story.

1 Like

Just remembered I also loved this one for Wok cooking. Would definitely boil water.

1 Like

When I was blowing glass by melting it in a pot inside an insulating dome, when I started with 1 20# tank, I could produce ice on the outside halfway up on humid days at 70F. I added a 2nd tank, manifolded, then later went to 2 100 pound tanks and alternated them. I added a commercial belt heater at one point. If you suck a lot of propane/butane out, it drops the pressure inside and the regulator isn’t magic - it is using spring tension to proportion input to output - lower in eventually leads to lower out.

1 Like

I have one of the butane single-burner stoves like the one above. It works well. Available at Asian grocery stores in the ~$20 range.

For efficiency and compact fuel storage the MSR backpacking stoves (Whisperlight and Dragonfly) can’t be beat. They use Coleman fuel (white gas). I have the latter.

My all time favorite for quick use and serious efficiency is the JetBoil. Their canisters contain a mixture of propane and butane for decent cold weather performance. For small quantities of water (like for coffee or use with freeze dried meals) it’s unbeatable. It will boil a pint of water in a couple of minutes. They have larger pans available but I don’t own them.

2 Likes