Beer 101 Class - Yay Beer!

At long last, we have a brewing class on the schedule!

This was supposed to happen about a month ago but was rejected by the calendar committee for lack of detail. But it’s back now and we’re going to be doing our Beer 101 class “Beer! A history of the most historical beverage in history”

Well, the presentation is a first cut at this anyway, and will cover everything from the origins of beer to a bit of SIMPLE chemistry to the basics of production and finish off with an overview of beer types and flavors.

Unfortunately, I as the instructor can’t bring any beer without running afoul of some of the rules & discussions about alcohol at the space, however I would encourage participants to bring what they’d like and perhaps share a little if you bring something interesting.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1654

Finally, I’m looking for the other people who are interested in brewing, and potentially already brew their own beers. We’re working toward getting a nice setup going and this class as well as some others in the future will be keys in getting the funding for the equipment we’ll be setting up.

Please sign up and show your support for the brewing group this coming Sunday Night at 7PM

Yes, Sunday Night 1/29/17 at 7:00 PM.

3 Likes

So beer is allowed again? I’ll be out of town or I would stop in.

Bringing beer is not an issue. Storing it in the refrigerator is either not allowed or not allowed overnight. Likewise heating precursor materials for making it.

Do we want to organize so that we have a decent selection and less duplication?

When did this ‘rule’ occur? I recall a vociferous member meeting, where the members did not want such a restriction.

The only thing I am aware of is that our lease no cooking rule means no beer brewing on site.

can we also make flourescent beer?

Brooks told me: We are not allowed to leave alcohol unattended. Putting it in the refrigerator is unattended.

Sure! We’ll be discussing how we go about the brewing process at the end of the class and we’ll cover what would have to happen.

Well Brooks is the one who put that item on a board agenda, but the membership was vociferously against it. So unless the board snuck it in, then Brooks is wrong. Putting Beer in the fridge is fine…

3 Likes

As long as you don’t leave the room, Or put it in Wednesday morning. :wink:

Hey Guys, I just wanted to send a quick reminder about the class Sunday for the brewing group. Should be fun, and if nothing else, will get the brewing group together to put names and faces together.

I’m tagging a bunch of people who have commented on brewing stuff before in case you missed this post

@actionjackson
@ChadB
@the_pi_rho
@Bill
@northstar
@TBJK
@NightRanger
@Josh_Melnick

The class / meeting last night was great! The class was very informative! I always wondered how an IPA came about! :slight_smile:

I’m Looking forward to the next class / meeting and working with the group!

1 Like

Glad you liked this class. I’ll be starting a new thread at some point with build info about the brew rig, yeast class, and more, while leaving this thread to advertise re-runs of this beer history class.

3 Likes

Will there be another one of these on the schedule soon? I’d very much like to check it out.

Yeah, I’ll likely do this class again soon with a few minor updates. I’m also working on the next class which will be about collecting wild yeasts for brewing (and baking).

4 Likes

any news on this class?

Beer brewing is going through a transition right now. We are setting things up. PM me if y’all want to help or get involved!

1 Like

I’ve been on the road for almost 4 weeks straight now and just haven’t had time to do anything for this… it’s on my list of things to do, but with my schedule lately I just haven’t had the time.

It’ll get going again soon I hope!

-Ian

1 Like