Become a Certified Pyrotechnician in Texas

Ok, all you pyros who want to shoot real fireworks displays in Texas. A great company, Pyrotechnico is hosting a free training seminar in Lewisville. You will not find any training closer than that. They do tons of very interesting events across the country. Indoor, outdoor & film.

February 13, 2016
Seminar: 9:15 am - 5:00 pm (Approx.)
Lewisville Fire Department Training Facility
612 Sewage Treatment Plant Road
Lewisville, Texas 75057

http://www.pyrotecnico.com/careers/become-a-certified-pyrotechnician

6 Likes

Figures. ConDFW is that weekend.

If those dates don’t work for people, there are other companies to look into for training in this area.

Extreme Pyrotechnics - in Mansfield, they could probably be talked into doing a Texas training class if there is enough interest, although they are open to just bringing someone directly onto a shoot site for training, if they see your potential beforehand.
Pyro Shows in Fort Worth - March 5th and 6th
https://www.pyroshows.com/2016-training-seminar-texas/
Illumination Fireworks - Carrollton - I am sure they will be doing local training before July, maybe try watching there facebook page.
There are a few other companies who do work in this area, but those are probably to easiest to get setup with training in this area. Also, do not be afraid to call these companies and talk to them about working shows, even if they do not offer a set training class.

Please understand that most of the companies will want you to work a show for them around July 4th, which can be a good learning experience, but will also be a lot of work, and pay will vary with each company and experience. Some may pay a basic day rate to all crew members, while others may only buy you lunch and give you a free tshirt in trade for working that first show.

Also, I would recommend signing up for more then one companies training classes if you can, as all have there own ways of safely doing things and you would be wise to look at a few different methods for safely dealing with these kind of fireworks.

Pyro Shows in Fort Worth used be know as Atlas Fireworks long ago before they were bought by the Tennessee company. I shot many a show with them, PM me if you want to know my experiences with them.

Also Lone Star Fireworks in Graham Texas. They have lots of digital firing equipment and do some really interesting shows like 400 ft of waterfall effects across Hells Gate on Possum Kingdom Lake.

As Tony stated above it is good to work with several companies to get a broad range of experience and exposure. Just beware some companies may want you to sign an exclusivity contract.

1 Like

That they did, and I have heard plenty of stories about Atlas from previous employees/shooters but it is my understanding that they are a better company now. I was only trying to offer some alternative companies if the dates didn’t work for the Pyrotecnico schooter’s school, and am not looking to slam any companies right now, as they all have there own quarks.
I personally work full time for a small pyro/special effects company in the metroplex, and have good friends or at least acquaintances with the companies who work in the metroplex.

1 Like

Also really fun guys to work with.

For anyone interested in what a waterfall is, check out Lone Star’s Facebook page, you can’t miss the photo.
https://www.facebook.com/lonestarfireworks/
There are not many places where you can setup such a large waterfall effect, and they make for a very impressive effect. I have setup up numerous small ones, 10-40ft, indoors for corporate events, but have not seen one on that scale, then again, I try to stay at home on the 4th.

Yeah, I wasn’t going to publicly share some of those stories. It’s in the past and those people are long gone. Glad they rejuvenated the company.

Lone Star did the Diwali Mela 2015 in the Cotton Bowl. Had thousand+ amazing individual comets they shot from the full width of the field.

We’ll have to talk some shop @Tony. I let my proximate license go long time ago. Probably like to get it back plus flame effects. I’m not too active in professional displays anymore but do like to make some black powder rockets.

We can definitely talk shop sometime, and the chemistry behind the fireworks is what originally peaked my interest in them, although I don’t mess with much of that anymore. I did make a few small black powder rockets, with homemade black powder, hand turned casings and some tooling made by a friend, just to see if I could do it.
You better watch talking about getting your close prox and flame effects licenses, well at least around the Pyrotechnico shop, they might just throw you more work then you really every wanted…

I will have to watch some video of Diwali Mela 2015 to check out those comet shots and the show in general. We use a lot of comet arrays also, as they can really accentuate a point in the music and always pull a great crowd reaction.

We really need to sucker, err convince, a few more of the DMS members into joining the fun.

1 Like

Hello I’m about to get my ATF 54 license and wanted to know any training date for certified pyrotechnican. & do you know any 1.3g company who ship fireworks to Texas. Thanks

You can check out our pyro licensing discussion over at fireants.org

2 Likes

Keep in mind that an ATF user permit is only the first step in using 1.3 product in Texas. You will also need a state license or someone with a license, high dollar insurance, and a state permit for each time you want to shoot any 1.3 product. Texas basically considers any use of 1.3 to be a “public” display thus requiring a state permit, even if it is a private show on your own property in the middle of nowhere. How do they find out about such things? The atf inspector will ask you about following state laws and may even notify the state fire marshals office if they think you haven’t been following them. Do not expect your homeowners insurance to cover the use of 1.3 without something in actual writing from the insurance company. There are only a few underwriters who will cover 1.3 and you will not like the price of it, thus join a group like the Texas Fireants to cover these legal issues.
Don’t forget about DOT requirements if it is for commercial use, or if you are getting any benefits from putting on the show, ie, no payments/donations or even free food or drinks given to you for the show.

1 Like