Beautification Project pt 2

That’s kinda funny cause I was going to mention it, FRP.

Or how about Masonite & have people sign the Masonite wall.

FYI - At Home Depot a 4’ x 8’ sheet of FRP material costs about $30.

1 Like

Well, it’s always best to make it as difficult as possible for people to help. Thanks for the information.

Based on the linear footage of the “front area” in formerly Suite 104, we’d need about 40 8’ panels to do the hallways.

2 Likes

Am I missing something here? You asked for information and people gave it?

2 Likes

I’m not upset that people gave me information. I’m upset that it’s not easier to help/make a difference.

How could it be easier? This is a genuine question. What they ask for is a heads up on what you want to do to make sure its not crazy or detrimental to operations.

1 Like

I assume you are referring to the comment about “representing dms”. There is a lot of history here, mostly around people calling the city/fire marshall/ social services. It makes it very hard for us to operate and risks our status with the government when people just randomly call around claiming to speak for us.

That said we always appreciate meaningful help. As a board we just need to know in advance who you are contacting and what offers will be made. Once we have that we would authorize you as a delegate and you can engage with donors as needed.

As for a list of things needed, that can go in a number of directions.
For the beautification project. Home Depot and Sherwin Williams gift cards would help us with FRP and painting supplies.
For expansion, we can use plumbing supplies for sink installs and clay traps. I’ll need to dig to get exact pipe sizes, so I’ll get back to you on that.

For general operations, we need volunteers more than we need specific items.
Some of the tasks we need help with are:

• Painting
  • Running cables for data
  • Logistics workdays
  • Tour guiding on Thursday nights

For general operations, we can always use Ryobi tools or gift cards to buy them.

Plus each committee has individual needs for volunteering.

3 Likes

Yow! That be expensive! Paint it is!

2 Likes

FRP vs paint - a cost comparison

At that price, it would run $60/8, or $7.50 per liner foot or $60/64 =$0.94 per sq ft to line both sides of a given hallway. A $39 can of paint will cover 350 sq ft (according to @talker’s estimates), which works out to about $0.11 per sq ft.

Thus, FRP runs about 8X per sq ft compared to paint, if you assume the labor to install/repaint is free.

The FRP would look better and last longer with trim and connector strips, and you’d need adhesive to install it as well. The paint on the other hand, would need brushes/rollers/tarps or visqueen to protect from drips, and would need a re-do every year or so.

I helped install the FRP behind the print area sink: it’s not a hard project, and using whole sheets installed horizontally would minimize the effort, lead to a more consistent outcome, and speed install time. It can be cut to length with a circular saw and a standard blade, with a saber saw, or with a handheld zipsaw-style handheld router and a guide.

Adding to the complexity are allowances for wall switches and plugs in the hallways. There are small cardboard guides on can use to mark the outlets and transfer them to the back of the FRP - I’d recommend that approach over trying to measure for the outlets.

1 Like

As a note to people about home depot pricing: anytime we have to buy a lot of something like frp panels or paint, ask them to do a bid at the pro counter. Believe it or lot they do bidding on quantities of things (like if we want to carpet or fresh FRP the entire 104)

2 Likes

Typically 10-15% off. I did this when bulk buying wood for my barn’s tack room. Saving $100 on a $1,000 purchase is a good thing. Both Home Depot and Lowes do this. FWIW, it also works for pallet-load amounts of mulch (10% off).

1 Like

So, the goal is to make the halls look like bathrooms?

2 Likes

In case nobody has noticed: the hallway between the south workshop and lecture hall/Interactive is lined with FRP.

One observation I would make is that 4’ is pretty high, and may adversely affect artwork display options.

2 Likes

For reference, the hallway where I work lined with FRP for resistance to…resting equipment happenstance…
I

Yes, and you can see on other posts on talk where I mention it looks like a men’s room and we could easily hang some urinals on the wall.

Graffiti would be easier and more artistic…:wink:

1 Like

“Don’t throw toothpicks in the toilets. The crabs will pole vault out.”

Well…that’s a good start…
What color Sharpie would you like?