Beautification Project pt 2

Topic:
Updating our beloved home. Make it look super pro again. Not like undiscarded trash.

new flooring for 104
new paint.

I priced out the flooring & paint. @John_Marlow added valuable input.

The cost for all of 104* is under $16,000. This can be done in stages.
Assumptions:

1. Free labor -minus cost of food
  2. leave existing carpet on the floor

Flooring is $13,400. This is the same waterproof vinyl planking we used in Interactive and CA.

Paint is about $2,000-$2,500. Not on the spreadsheet is cost of roller covers and tape and such. Variability is how much coverage we get per gallon. SW estimates 300 - 450 sq ft per gallon. We went with a conservative 350.

Paint is Duration from Sherman Williams in a Satin finish. Satin doesn’t grab dirt like a flat finish. It can also be wiped clean. Sherman Williams has a several pro grades of paint. Super is very good. Duration is better, and Emerald is their highest level. Our price is 50% off retail. Thank you to whomever scored this deal. Even the store folks were surprised how good our pricing is. Duration is $10 more a gallon. At 30 gallons, $300 more. small investment, as our biggest cost is people’s time.

Assumptions:

1. Free labor - minus encouraging, sustaining, food
  2. leave existing carpet in place. Steam clean first. Dry, Pull the carpeting off the walls where it exists and use vinyl moulding.

Link to spreadsheet:

*except CA and interactive that have already been done

3 Likes

I’m all for the painting- sounds great. I think we have higher budgetary priorities than new flooring.

9 Likes

It looks like we’re talking 2800 sqft of carpet? We could start with just getting it cleaned (looks like <$1000 total), even that would do wonders.

2 Likes

I think we even have a carpet cleaner that volunteers could run for the cost of procuring soap.

1 Like

we did this last Oct before the open house. Looked the same.

More members will help the budget.

https://accounts.dallasmakerspace.org/member_count.php?total

1 Like

How was the cleaning done? Perhaps we could try a more thorough cleaning this time.

I’m just throwing other options out there.

1 Like

We have a steam cleaner, But we used the cleaning company we have to come do it.

My preference for the carpets is to clean with fire.

You show me a scenario where floors is gonna get 16k worth of new members, and I’m all over it. Until then, I say let’s put the money in 102 and get this expansion done.

7 Likes

I also fail to see how spending another 16k while expansion is in full force in 102 is the way to go.

1 Like

Do you have any information to back up your assertion that the condition of the carpeting played a role in people deciding to quit or not join?

2 Likes

What Brad said. Or find a sponsor. Don’t rely on volunteer labor to do your work. I find they are like Makerspace unicorns. They exist, but they’re few, far between, and very temperamental. Or maybe those are Makerspace leprechauns.

…Erry’body seen a Makerspace leprechaun say YEA!

How much are we putting in?

How much do we have in the bank? $300,000?

The Floors are $13,500. that is for the majority of 104.

Paint is $2,000- $2,500.

This can all be done in stages.

@JRay This entire enterprise is volunteer based. We rely on people like Brad for treasure, Lara to meter it out as decided by the membership and board. They give their time.

i am very confident I can find other great individuals to give back and swing a brush and click boards together.

1 Like

Plus, this is in PR’s budget.

PR no longer has a budget aside from what the Board gives them. :wink:

1 Like

@brsims
How much are we investing in the expansion? How much do we have saved?

Expansion- dunno yet, haven’t seen quotes for a looot of the work.

How much is in the bank? As if I’d post that in the PR channel… Come to a finance meeting. Regardless, not enough that I’d be in favor of spending 13k of it on pretty floors when we have sooo much that needs to be done next door.

1 Like

Hi, it’s me again, asking about sponsorships. Who wants to be “The official paint sponsor of Dallas Makerspace 2020” or “The official carpet sponsor of Dallas Makerspace 2020?”

My mom is the world champion of getting people to donate stuff for a good cause.

At almost 2k members, we probably qualify as a good cause.

I still don’t know the rules on this and have been asking since April.

Don’t you want free stuff for DMS?

Somebody humor me, or I might stop asking.

1 Like

Go out there and find someone willing to donate, we’ll review the strings attached and the Board will say yeah or nay. It’s that simple. If there’s an application involved, let the d&o review it before it’s submitted. Good luck.

2 Likes

What’s a d&o?