Bathroom project

Hi, I am renovating a bathroom, and having trouble finding exactly what I want for a vanity top.
I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in quoting me for creating a 3D printed vanity top?
It would be large 68in x 22in with two sinks.
Is this even possible?

Possible, yes. Expensive, yes. The space doesn’t have the equipment to do this. I would expect to spend tens of thousands dollars to have a commercial outfit do this. There’s really no benefit to doing this. Have you considered what can be done with a CNC router?

Just curious, what ever happened to the mega sized 3D printer that DMS member was holding on to for us at their house?

I know an offer was made to donate a large 3D printer. I’m not sure the current status. If it needs to be printed on that then the quote goes up from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars. :rofl:

1 Like

nah, that’s an external cost because it’s in a different business unit :wink:

1 Like

Don’t have the citation, but I recall it being formally declined by the Board.

Only Board Meeting Reference I could find was 20200806

6.17 Accept the Donation for an Erectorbot large scale 3d printer

• Pulled by Brad

• AS WRITTEN: “Accept the donation and create a temporary SIG under Public Relations to manage the printer. Unlike 3dfab, it will not be for individual projects. Rather, it will be used to generate PR and print community projects. Such projects can be proposed by the membership at large, and as suitable projects are chosen sent to the printer. Due to the footprint, it is proposed that since Automotive is delayed in moving to the north warehouse we use one of the originally allocated bay spaces adjacent to existing pallet racking to deploy the printer. Since we do not foresee being able to sustain this after automotive fire engineering is complete and construction to move in automotive can begin, it is proposed that the printer be auctioned as a fundraiser when that time comes. When broken down, the printer is made out of extruded aluminum sections, and the heated bed is made of square sections. The bed is able to be stored on a standard pallet, and one long pallet can be used for the extrusion rails (or, these rails can be placed against a wall or on a section of pallet racks). The printer does not have special power requirements and can run on a 120v drop.”

• MOTION: Move to table this pending clarifying financial liability and an appropriate host committee/group.

• Proposed Justin
    • Seconded Curtis
    • Vote
      • For Unanimous
      • Opposed
      • Abstained
1 Like

Not sure you’d want a 3D printed vanity top even if it could be done. 3D prints aren’t known for their longevity, stability, or waterproofness. I’m sure someone will happily make you a custom vanity top though. Do you have any drawings of your ideas or references to go from?

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Assuming it was done by other forum readers/members, it’s hard to understand why the preceding post was flagged as it was directly on point and responsive to OP, and which is in our “Maker Trade” forum.

@Matthew_Carter: FYI, the text says “flagged by the community…” but please understand that’s not really true. At all. It was flagged either by one moderator (very unlikely) or otherwise it only takes just two busy-bodies who may be bored and have nothing better to do.

It’s possible there is another explanation like some goofy system quirk at work here as well since you are newly signed up to this forum…Discourse (the underlying forum software) is known to be “nag-ware” or “nanny-ware”. But either/or, please understand that you did/said nothing that should have resulted in your post being flagged.

Appreciate it! I was wondering why it was flagged but figured I’d leave it b

Also you can edit your comment, even just change a letter or add a word, and it will “unflag.”