Bathroom Cleaner Recipe

Curious on thoughts on following recipe, especially w.r.t:

1. Mixing vinegar and baking soda…it’s “safe” but won’t the effect be to simply neutralize the vinegar (mild acid) and some of the baking soda (mild alkali)?

2. Can one really expect this mixture to be sprayable? It seems like the soap and baking soda would tend to make a pretty thick paste…1/2 cup water doesn’t seem like enough to make it usable from a typical spray bottle, and I wonder if the CO2 generated from mixing vinegar and baking soda might become an issue. (obviously, I can just test it, then dilute it more if needed…was just curious as to initial thoughts)

3. What would a shelf life for this mixture be, if kept in a dark, cool place (e.g. cabinet under sink).

Bathroom Cleaner Recipe

For a DIY bathroom cleaner, combine 1 2/3 cup of baking soda with 1/2 cup of dish soap in a bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of water followed by 3 tablespoons of vinegar and continue mixing to combine the ingredients and get rid of any lumps. To easily apply this cleaner to any bathroom surface, put it in a squirt bottle.

When you’re ready to scrub away soap scum on hard bathroom surfaces, spritz on this cleaner and scrub it with a sponge or scrub brush. When you’re done, rinse away the homemade cleaner with water.

Mixing vinegar and baking soda results in a solution of sodium acetate and water. Sodium acetate isn’t particularly useful as a cleaner.

Shooting from the hip, the relative quantities of soda and vinegar don’t seem stoichiometric, so you’ll end up with an excess of baking soda. Baking soda is a reasonably decent cleaner when mixed with soap because it’s mildly abrasive.

1 Like

Yep…that’s why I don’t get the “mixing of” part. Also, vinegar is also a pretty good cleaner/disinfector of a lot of things.

The backing soda and just liquid soap is a common recipe as well, usually as a paste for a scrub.

BTW, the recipe is from Bob Villa and Hunker sites, and is pretty common on the mommy blogger and DIY type sites as well.

Huh. Yeah, I too have questions. I mean, baking soda and vinegar is recommended for a mild drain cleaner, but you’re counting on the “action” when you combine them in the drain to do the work. I’m wondering if this person has actually used this, or if it’s just a concept. “This should work” kind of thing.

I think there is a lot of “oh, two things that can clean mixed together, so the result must be better” thought going on with the numerous internet suggestions.

1 Like

Yeah but there is no vinegar left here. This ends up being a water, soap and baking soda mixture, which should be a decent cleaner, particularly for porcelain sinks, etc. Could just leave the vinegar out altogether.

1 Like

Try 4 oz isopropyl. 4 oz peroxide, a tablespoon of Dawn and the remainder water in a 32 oz spray bottle. I’ve been using it for a few years now and it works for me.

2 Likes

Yep…that’s what I use as a DIY daily cleaner. Or, TBH, an every other day cleaner. (I include a teaspoon of that dishwasher blue rinse stuff as well).

I am looking to formulate something to replace my monthly cleaner product (it called “Scrub Free”, but that’s false advertising)

1 Like

Double the recipe and halve the water… N you might be surprised how well it works for you?