Basic maintenance

A class on buying tires and what the letters/numbers
mean and such could be a money saver,

1 Like

Thanks for that list Bill!

I know it may be hard to believe but those in automotive that met at the Space just over a week ago spoke abut covering all the above in BASIC automotive classes along with routine maintenance and other popular repairs and other events as well.

4 Likes

This information along with other important information can be found in the owner’s manual - which is definitely the least read printed literature on earth.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ll be bringing my wife’s car up to the space to use the lift. You have to go in through the wheel well to get to the lights. :frowning:

2 Likes

THIS one can get interesting. Our VW has these plastic caps that look like wheel locks and stymied us when we had a flat. There’s a key ring looking ring with a metal hook sticking out of it that was in the manual case in the glove box. You use it to stick the hook down into the “lock” and pull the plastic cap right off to reveal real lug nuts underneath.

Once that was figured out the rest was easy!

Some cars have special slots for the jacks to fit into or grooves in the jack to fit around pinch rails (Miata!) so you don’t squish them.

1 Like

Used cars often lose their manuals, Hubby mentioned
we need a couple of tires, that is why I thought of it,

Sue may have gotten a replacement one for the Durango
(double used car!)

That is true and when that happens - most tire websites have online catalogues where anyone can look up the standard tire sizes that the vehicle manufacturer installed when it was built.
One example is here
www.tirerack.com
For the record - I do not buy from the tire rack, but I use it as a price guide. It is not perfect (nothing that uses software is) but most of the time it works for most vehicles made in the last couple of decades.

2 Likes

I purchased from them and it was an incredible price. :slight_smile:

My previous Miata had Enkei 18" rims on it and tires that were only used on a Volvo. I got some nice 17" SSR Comp C ultra light forged rims on clearance and new tires mounted and shipped for about 50% more than just the 18" tires would’ve cost.

The car lost a lot of weight on each corner, had much more pep off the line, and I saved a lot of money buying 17" tires that were a far more popular size than a skinny 18" rubber band.

True story…

My first day of in-car Driver Ed, our car had a flat tire. We had to change the it before we could do any driving. I wondered whether they did that on purpose, but nobody I asked reported the same.

It is probably a good idea to do a dry run with every new car: get the spare and tools out, jack the car up and pretend to change the tire…

2 Likes

I’d like to keep this on STOCK BASIC Maintenance.

Wasn’t suggesting anything otherwise… just saying I’ve purchased from Tire Rack before. :slight_smile:

There is no pretending if you’re a first time future driver in Germany.

2 Likes

Most online tire retailers if you go to their site will ask for the Make, Model (engine size & 2 or 4 wheel drive), and Year. Then it will give you a selection. e.g. I have a RAV4, this is the NTB site:

Now I can see the tire sizes and these are what you can use to find your tires where ever.

When I select it’ll show the various brands of tires, tread styles, etc. You can probably download the owners manual from the manufacturers site.

So I guess side wall repair with a boot is out of the question? Lol.

I repaired my side wall on my now spare with high test fishing line, rubber cement & a boot(patch). My local sources were being finicky with re-vulcanizing my side wall.

2 Likes

Will the tools section cover the normal items like bailing wire, WD-40, and this mashup of 2 wonderful products?

3 Likes

@missydee1206 NO, NO, NO, NO do not give in to @uglyknees. Tough love is needed here.

4 Likes

Raymond - your choice of perfumed duct tape and the lube of your choice is all you - maybe it is a Miata thing…

5 Likes

Along with basic maintenance, a list of good tools to
keep in one s car would be nice,

And thanks for the comments on tires, never thought to check
the internet!

1 Like

Parts are cheap in the Miata world and there are so many locals who can help out that it’s not used. :slight_smile:

I’ve done a few timing belt changes on my own and others’ cars. :smiley:

To the scented duct tape? No worries on that one. (I can’t do anything if a mysterious benefactor donates some though… :grimacing:

2 Likes