Basic maintenance

Will the tools section cover the normal items like bailing wire, WD-40, and this mashup of 2 wonderful products?

3 Likes

@missydee1206 NO, NO, NO, NO do not give in to @uglyknees. Tough love is needed here.

4 Likes

Raymond - your choice of perfumed duct tape and the lube of your choice is all you - maybe it is a Miata thing…

5 Likes

Along with basic maintenance, a list of good tools to
keep in one s car would be nice,

And thanks for the comments on tires, never thought to check
the internet!

1 Like

Parts are cheap in the Miata world and there are so many locals who can help out that it’s not used. :slight_smile:

I’ve done a few timing belt changes on my own and others’ cars. :smiley:

To the scented duct tape? No worries on that one. (I can’t do anything if a mysterious benefactor donates some though… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’m dreading the day I need to replace my battery. I think it might be easier to drop it through the subframe on a Chrysler 300 M. At least they pulled a terminal up for jumping it.

The battery in Dad’s car is under the back seat.

2 Likes

We had a VW fastback for a while. Wish DMS had been around then
I wanted to change the engine out when it died

1 Like

Wow.
Yeah.
Skateboard, 2 fuel lines, throttle cable, remove 4 nuts. Bam!
Nearly as easy as a Beetle, but for the fuel injection causing another fuel line (return) to need to be removed/capped.
(I over simplify a bit, but it really IS one of the easiest vehicles in the history of ever to yank an engine from as a solitary individual without special tools, i.e. no hoist needed! If you have a buddy or 2, especially burly fellas, it can be helpful.)

1 Like

easier than a beetle.
one fuel line if it was a twin carb model
you left out the 2 heater cable barrel nuts and the 6 or 8 wires for the carb’d models and a few more for EFI.
Speaking of fuel injection - the VW type 3 was the first successful mass-produced electronic fuel injection system for gasoline engines

1 Like

Andrew,

One of my many many “to do items” is to eventually bring one or both of my air cooled cars to the Space for some maintenance (this would really be for question and answer time) because when something unusual comes in, there are many many questions. The Unimog is a great example, questions for the curious and “rides” for those that wanted them.
If you like we can remove and install a vw engine at the Space sometime…I have a new “freeway” flyer" transaxle for my double cab - but that is a fair amount of work to swap out and rebuild/reseal the Reduction gearboxes (same thing the Unimog calls “portal axles”).

3 Likes

little something to aim for…

2 Likes

and we can teach fan belt changing the RIGHT way…

1 Like

can we swap the vw engine with this :smiley:

I say YES!
The venerable VW 1200cc “40 horse” will provide improved reliability as well as comparable power output in place of that Jaguar 12 popper.
Sonorously inferior, but better in practically every other way…
:smiley:
{where is my flame suit?}

The only con is you cant change the belt with a screwdriver

1 Like

trade out vw reliability for the a motor from the Prince of Darkness?

I used to enjoy working on the early Jag V12’s - they say medication is available for that now

3 Likes

I could find more, but I have difficulty seeing through that tangle of vacuum leaks^H^H^H^H^Hhoses.

2 Likes

almost but not quite as many vacuum connections as on a Honda of the same vintage

1 Like