Basic intro classes coming up

If you are just learning Electronics and would like some hands on instruction in how to use the tools, I have some classes coming up.

Intro to multimeters and power supplies 10/11 7p
The above is currently full, but if interested keep an eye, there are usually a few last minute cancellations or even failure to show.

Intro to the Oscilloscope 10/16 7p
seats still available

Make a blinky badge, learn to solder smd parts 10/23 7p
seats still available

If you find a class you want full, PLEASE, let me know via PM and tell me what days/times would be good for you. I want to schedule these classes so that everyone who wants to take it has an opportunity.

10 Likes

A word about classes in ELab.
Given the fallout, rant, rave, etc. in another thread concerning previous classes in the Elab, I’ll state the official policy for the Electronics Committee.

Classes have priority in the ELab.
The teacher has the authority to request the ELab be vacated for the class.
It is the responsibility of members to check the Events Calendar and schedule accordingly.
If a member is asked to leave the ELab and refuses to do so, a complaint may be filed by the teacher w/ the Chair and/or BoD. This may result in said member losing their privileges in the ELab - i.e. being banned from the ELab.

This policy is not open for debate, argument, rant, rave, etc.
Classes show up on the Events Calendar 7 days before the class date giving everyone plenty of time to plan ahead.

8 Likes

It may be beneficial to post a sign on the door stating that the lab will be reserved for a class in the next day or so.

2 Likes

Concur with Bill. I know in Machine Shop, the day before or at least the day of, instructor posts a sign on the machines that will be used for a class so there is no surprises. Often see it on the CA room.

1 Like

Way to go @artg_dms! Totally clear - no gray area. You could never be a politician.

I like the idea of the previous two posts but it puts the responsibility on the teacher. How to get the sign posted if the teacher is not at the space to post the sign. Do we need a procedure to have some group responsible for posting signs? That will not work for a volunteer organization.

The ELab is small and classes generally seem to have at least five people. I suggest that class announcements include “ELab is reserved for class. If you wish to use equipment during this time request permission from the instructor.”

Posting a sign is courteous but should not be a requirement. If you want to use the lab, you should check if it is in use for a class.

1 Like

How about: this on Door and walls:
Check Calendar Before Coming to DMS To Ensure Room or Equipment NOT Reserved For Class Instruction.

2 Likes

Most Excellent! I started to put something like that but did not want to push too far.

There will be some minor additions/tweaks to the policy such as posting a schedule in the ELab - which will require being kept up to date and actually being noticed and read. Also would suggest that when entering class to Events Calendar stating whether ELab will be available or not to non students.