Banned Materials Rule Clarification

To protect the equipment, the membership, and to avoid violating any DMS rules, I need two questions answered because I can’t remember the exact wording given back to me during woodshop basics.

For the second item in the list of banned materials in the photo, does this ban all plywood or only yellow pine plywood?

Also, I can’t recall how to tell if wood has been pressure treated. Are all stores required to tag them with a sticker if they are pressure-treated or is it possible to accidentally buy untagged pressure-treated wood from one of the retailers or lumber yards? If so, what are some good ways to tell if the wood is pressure treated? Will they always have the green tint?

Thank you for your time in advance!

Pressure treated wood is marked as such and carries a premium over non-treated wood of the same species add size.

What is banned is Southern Yellow Pine. It is most often found in dimensional construction lumber due to its fast growth and corresponding low price. At the big box stores and commercial lumber yards, this basically means any yellowish wood that is used to frame a house, pour concrete, or boarding up windows.

So the rule of thumb is not to buy anything but soft white wood construction lumber and plywood. Hard wood plywoods such as oak is fine.

2 Likes

The good news is that you don’t have to remember what they said in woodshop basics. A complete set of rules is posted above the miter saw station and posted here: File:Woodshop Rules 03 02 2022.pdf - Dallas Makerspace

And most tools have a “top ten” things to know sign above or near the machine.

Southern Yellow Pine is usually labeled with: SYP or SYIP. Anything labeled white wood, fir or spruce is fine.

Plywood is banned on the jointer and planer.

To paraphrase Brad in Fast Times at Ridgemont High: “Learn the rules, know the rules, be the rules”

2 Likes