Band saw in machine shop

I needed to cut a piece of 1095 on the bandsaw in the machine shop. I waited untill checking with this board. I have received training on the wood shop bandsaws but this machine was alittle different. Especially noted was the on/off switch on the side of the machine. Is there any special procedure to turn it on. And, is there any special advice for cutting this material? Greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Motor off when setting the gear to Steel (labeled handle, only two options steel and aluminum). Motor on when changing variable speed.

The normal electrical switch should just start the unit; Iā€™d suspect something is unplugged otherwise.

I canā€™t speak to 1095 off the top of my head and donā€™t have a machinist handbook handy. There is a copy left in the shop. Black book, usually on the blue table or the table next to the haas.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

Is this something you might be able to cut with the horizontal bandsaw in Metal Shop?

Because if it is, Iā€™m sitting in the Common Room (room by the Galley/kitchen with all the computers) over next to the Mail Slots.

1 Like

First, thanks for asking.

A couple things:

• Let saw do the cutting. Light constant pressure, about 5 lbs give best cut
  • There is a lubrication stick, use it on blade before starting then every so often
  • No gloves when using equipment in Machine Shop when tool powered.

How large is the stock? If over an 1" diameter and someone is around ask if they can show you how to use cold cut saw. Takes about 10 minutes. Far faster and superior cuts unless curves involved.

1 Like

Iā€™m familiar with the horizontal bandsaw and this
can ā€˜t be cut on that bandsaw. Size is about 7ā€ x 2ā€ and I want to cut it into two pieces along the long axis. Is thereā€™s a special procedure needed to turn the machine on and off. OR just flip the black switch. Thanks again

1 Like

Flip the switch! As @hon1nbo Jim said, make sure the speed is lever is set to the one marked STEEL before you turn on.

All help appreciated.

1 Like

1095 is pretty high carbon: is the stock fully annealed (purchased new stock often is)? If not, the saw may not cut it well (or at all) and may dull or shear teeth.

7x2x? what is the last dimension? you want to end up with two 7x1x?

Two pieces of Approx 7*1. And yes it is annelled.

I think heā€™s asking about ā€œthicknessā€, or whatever we want to label the 3rd dimension, i.e. lengthxwidthxthickness is 7x1x?.

3/16 to 1/8. It varies.

F/I wasnā€™t able to cut the 1095 barstock. The blade didnā€™t cut and I didnā€™t want to push it. So I used the angle grinder and that worked.
Also when I tried to put the machine in the steel setting the round handle popped off. I reinserted it on the stem and it worked but just to let the group know.
Thanks again for all the input.

3 Likes

Do we have spare blades or is this a BYOB kind of thing?? what size blade does it require??

I just replaced the blade today so it should be good.

1 Like

Did it need it??

Given how often the blades get changed, it may need to be changed later today or tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

oh yeah. It had no teeth left.

I guess there is a lot to be said for diligence and friction cutting. I am going to try to get in this afternoon before it gets dull again. Thanks gentlemen.

worked quite well, a little chatter but not a big deal. After cutting 24" of 1/4" hot rolled steel the blade seemed none the worse for wear. @TBJK thanks for the work you and Charles put into the saw rebuilding. I would buy you both a beer but you have to go someplace else to drink them.:beers:

4 Likes