Bambu for 2-color print?

Hi- I found a project I’d like to print- it’s 2 color and I’d really like to print plate 1 as intended.

It’s this lamp, for my niece - I can do the back of it on my Sovol SV07 at home, but printing that front so it looks right would be more of a pain with color changes and modification than I’m up for with my Sovol.

A) Do I need any special training, scheduling, or permission for use of the Bambu?

B) I have Polymaker PLA here at home I’d love to use for this that has been dried and stored appropriately and/or never opened- can I use that, or will I need to get ABS or some other type of plastic? If so, are there any brands you’d recommend? I have been very happy with polymaker brand filament.

Thanks!

Yes, (paging @Team_3D_Fab ) the bambu has special training. I believe it requires that you are already signed off for the regular polyprinters but I may be wrong. These classes are usually ad-hoc, so someone who is authorized to teach will likely chime in on the thread

As for material… I know there had been some debate on whether members were able to bring in their own filament for the Bambu, or only use the filament library… I assume that is gone over in the little class.

Ok, thanks! I did the class on Moodle for the PolyPrint machines.

As to material, I’m fine with using material from the library if that is preferred.

Your sign project seems like it should be pretty simple and looks like it will only have one color change per layer, but you’ll come to regret those words if you have a large print with a ton of color changes. The amount of “poops” it will waste to purge the hot end can easily double the weight of the filament in the actual finished print. :upside_down_face:

This is the primary reason I have avoided buying an X1 myself… I’m waiting until I can find an acceptable IDEX alternative that has Bambu / Prusa level build quality that isn’t a bajillion dollars.

Ah, yeah, I’ve heard that about them also. And yes, there are only a few layers on this design that use color changes, and they seem to be grouped well- lol they’re grouped like my embroidery machine would group them with thread anyway.
I’d like to ‘get to know’ the Bambu on this simpler design so if I want to do something more complex, it won’t be my first time using the machine.

By that I basically meant if the rules for the Bambu are such that I need to use a particular kind of filament, I’m happy to do that.

1 Like

Lol accidentally marked this solved and I don’t think it’s solved

I’ll be teaching someone tonight if you can come up before 7:30