Automotive help today

I purchased a 2001 Ford Ranger last Friday evening. Currently, it’s showing two error codes: P0174 and P0305. I’m seeking guidance on how to resolve these issues. My aim is to fix them today to ensure I can get the truck registered. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

That’s pointing to a bad or clogged fuel injection in cylinder 5 from what I can tell with the current bit of information.

1 Like

This is the kind of thing that our Autel scan tool and our ProDemand subscription can really help with. If you’re on the makerspace network, go to ProDemand.com, hit login, enter the specifics of your Ranger, and then search each code separately. You’ll see that it’s a bank lean code and a misfire on cylinder 5.

Then you can start forming a hypothesis about what’s going wrong. How I would normally start is by going to OEM Testing, and then following the troubleshooting workflow that they outlined.

I.e. it says if you also have P0175, go to step 3, I read step 3, it says to check spark plugs and plug wires. So I can pull my cylinder 5 plug and see if I’ve got spark, if I don’t, there’s your problem lady. If I do, I keep going down the troubleshooting list.

4 Likes