Automotive Disection

This is a sincere request: I need access to a space where I can safely literally cut out the driver’s compartment of an automobile. I assure you that I will clean up any mess created during the process and I am willing to pay for the privilege. Can anyone tell me if Makerspace allows for a project like this?

1 Like

In theory, yes. There are rules that apply:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Automotive#AUTOMOTIVE_AREA_RULES...or_act_like_a_Member.2C_not_a_Customer.

Specifically, “No vehicles left inside unattended for any significant amount of time.” For the most part this means members can’t leave their vehicle overnight on the premises, including outside in parking lot. So, practically speaking, Automotive projects are effectively time-bounded by a member’s ability to be here and be actively working on their vehicle.

Also, please note: we are a community and members are expected to generally contribute to the betterment of the Makerspace as opposed to just consuming it. In other words we are not a rental shop or hop-on/hop-off tour bus or a room-by-the-hour motel…so while there is no general policy or rule preventing it, joining just to take advantage of our 'Space and tools and HumInt for a limited time is kinda frowned upon.

That said, I hope your project can be accommodated here and that you join and stick around…always a good thing to have new members around.

Dallas Makerspace: Come for the Tools; Stay for the Community.

4 Likes

Thank you for providing me with the information. I appreciate the clarity on the rules and guidelines regarding vehicle storage and the expectations for members. It’s great to know that the Makerspace values active participation and the spirit of community. I fully understand and respect the intention behind discouraging short-term utilization without contributing to the betterment of the space. Rest assured, my intention is to join and actively engage in the community. I look forward to being a part of the Makerspace and contributing to the projects and the overall environment. Thank you for welcoming me, and I’m excited to meet fellow members and be a positive addition to the community.

3 Likes

For more clarification these are from our lease/ rules for the space as a whole.

Parking

Members are not permitted to store running or non-running vehicles at the Dallas Makerspace. All cars must be removed from the premises after work, and may not be stored overnight without the permission of the COO who may grant an exception for one 24 hour period only. Allvehicles left more than 48 hours will be towed without notice at the owners expense. No exceptions.

Dallas makerspace will not allow any repairs, washing, or oil changes in the parking lot, drive areas, truck courts, or common areas of the building.

2 Likes

Can you be nore detailed in what you want to remove?

What the others mean above is that you will need to have the arrangements ahead of time to remove the left over parts of whatever car you use for a donor vehicle.

You could “remove the driver’s seat” and then cut the car’s cabin out of the body with a reciprocating saw and a few blade changes (I have done this more times that most).

Things to “consider” …depending on your donor car is how much do you want to remove? Half the instrument panel? Or all? Do you want anything “functional” i.e. gauges instruments, lights, etc. Do you want the exterior or just the interior?

Soooo many variables to this and zero details.

1 Like