Automotive 101 Class

ICYMI.
Thumbs up to instructor Joe for this. :+1:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/7144

2 Likes

Can I please get some clarifications:

“As of Sept 1, this is a required class to use most Automotive tools” - So everyone who uses the automotive area after this date will need to have taken this class?

“The class fee for this class will be applied to the ‘tool fund’, as Automotive currently does not charge ‘use-based’ fees for utilizing our space.” - So which areas do charge for use-based fees for utilizing the space? I think I am safe, I clean up after myself, I do not steal and mostly bring a lot of my own tools - whats the $10 for, do you want me to give a donation on top of membership to help buy more tools?

I always try to adhere to the “leave the place better than you found it” rule, and I am willing to help people if I can, I have taken a few classes at the space and some are free and some charge for materials, and some charge when there are no materials, I can never understand the consistency of this.

I find the space great value for money but if the classes are subsidizing income for the space then does that not indicate we need to increase the charge?

And if we are plagued with thefts and people not cleaning up after themselves do we not need to enforce stricter punishments?

2 Likes

Seems like a question for the chair.
@TLAR Tom?

1 Like

Do you use shop towels? Gloves? Solvents? The parts cleaner?

A one-time $10 for the duration of your membership seems pretty cheap to me.

3 Likes

Thanks for that clarification. Shop towels I bring my own. :slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind paying one little bit, just like I don’t mind paying for consumables in any of the other areas, I just wanted clarification as it said it was for “tool fund” after saying we struggled with theft it sounded like we were wanting more money to replace stolen tools.

I was also trying to get it clear in my mind when doing classes where the money was going, the TIG class I did I assumed went towards the metal that was purchased for training, the lift class I was not sure where the money was going (lift servicing??), or if it was going towards the teachers for the honorarium for teaching.

I always have plans to use the automotive area for a couple of major jobs in the upcoming months (Valve stem oil seals then the guibo on my BMW 750li), and so a few $$ here and there is still more than great value rather than doing it on my drive.

I am going to state this again in case anyone thinks I am complaining; “Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind paying one little bit”, I just wanted some clarity on why we were needing extra money.

4 Likes

There will be no such thing as “extra money” in the future with the expansion.

New members after that date will have to take 101,

All current members will be expected to have READ the rules posted so that they know what to expect if they opt to leave the work area a mess.

A class fee is to keep people from signing up for a class and then not showing up - just ask any of the several folks that have taught the wood shop 101 classes back when they were free.

Those fees go to the committee (not the instructor) and the committee uses the funding to buy BETTER tools or more tools.

I don’t think you are complaining - I appreciate the questions!

I’ve done stem seals on those V12’s with the heads on the car…much more time consuming than a 4 banger!

6 Likes

Thanks for that response, appreciate it.

It’s the newer 750 with the V8 not the V12, but I am expecting it to be a major pita on overhead cam.

2 Likes

You’re welcome!
Communication is the key!

My “old” days of the 750iL’s those were even overhead cam too - even thirty years ago! (It almost hurts to type the “thirty” part)…

I only do car work for therapy and entertainment now - and to lend a hand (not for a living).

Today’s cars make me want to take a young automotive engineer and hand him or her a set of basic tools and something like a 2007 Audi S6 and have him or her replace something basic like a water pump without dismantling half the car. Or worse yet, replace an ac compressor on an Audi R8.

3 Likes

It’s easy… just start on page 1 of the water pump replacement manual (available only to certied parties or for $250) and 273 pages later there will be a line that says “reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.”

:wink:

7 Likes

Is this still a thing? I saw a few on the calendar and now it seems there are no more. Regardless, I should be good to use the auto space until Sep 1, correct? I need to tighten up my chain and maybe do some wiring work on my motorcycles.

1 Like

I think that the intent is for all members before a specified date be grandfathered in as satisfying the requirement.

1 Like