Automate the dust collection system

This type of damper cannot survive in a vacuum situation

Moot point. It has been decreed that DIY is out.

Please note - Iā€™m not arguing against any of this. I think once the new collector is selected, weā€™ll still need a way to know when the bin/dumpster for it is full, or ideally when the filters need cleaning. And RFID activated tools and dust gates would be an awesome improvement.

Iā€™m just saying we donā€™t know what or where the new dust collector will be - yet. Guessing weā€™ll know a week after Dave locates the FSE.

If we can somehow arrange for a clear or translucent bin, or one with a window of some sort, it would go a long way in helping provide a visual reminder.

3 Likes

$83.00 + shipping from newpig

Note that a standard waste disposal dumpster is typical an option on all external dust collectors (aka, scheduled pickup, just like the existing dumpster).

Beats the hell out of hauling barrels outside and lifting them up over the edge of the trash dumpster, and the lack of need for volunteers to be hustling the waste outside, will definitely help keep them dumped and running well. Since difficulty keeping the barrels emptied is frequently cited as one of the major issues, we should keep in mind that a new higher powered system will collect significantly more waste (instead of leaving it on the floor, in the tools, in the air, etc), having an indoor collector just aggravates an already difficult problem.

1 Like

An outdoor collection bin would be so ideal. Iā€™m happy to empty a bin everytime Iā€™m there, but eliminating that need would be amazing. My only concern is if we happen to fill the bin before a pickup, what happens then?

1 Like

I think the dust collection dumpsters are designed to be used for transfer, not disposal. If we use a dumpster, I would speculate that the trash company wouldnā€™t disconnect it, roll it out, dump it, and put it back either.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen optional racks to accomodate a standard dumpster, not sure whether they have to be disconnected or not however.

In the rush to go with off the shelf tech for this project, the prime design featue I started with has been dropped.

If you want the dist collector emptied promptly, each of the tools needs to shut down at the first stop after the bin signals full. Automatic the gates wonā€™t fix that. The RFID system could be made to do so I suppose. Itā€™ll need power interruption capability.

But asking, posting signs, and reminding does not seem to work well. I doubt the alarm will do any better.

Something to consider in your research.

@wandrson is implementing a loud ass siren in the alarm, this is a feature we havenā€™t tried in response to people not reading. But it sure does seem promising. Iā€™d imagine someone in creative arts coming to yell at the woodshop about cleaning the dustbins would make it pretty effective

3 Likes

Valid point. I hadnā€™t considered those outside the woodshop relaying the message.

Hearing protection would offer some isolation in the woodshop itself.

Worth a shot, although I suspect the brute force approach will eventually be needed.

We shall see.

The system I am describing could easily be modified to completely shut down all machines in wood shop until the problem is dealt with. But that would be a future enhancement.

1 Like

That seems like it could cause some issues down the line though. CNC router shutdown mid cut, table saw mid cut, plainer. Iā€™m not super experienced with the woodshop tools but that sounds like a good way to waste 3-5 peoples project/materials at the same time

It would depend upon how it was implemented. If, for instance, there was a 5-10 minute delay, after the alarm sounded, that would give anyone using the power tools time to bring their operations to a finish and fix the problem.

2 Likes

Needs to be a system that waits for zero current flow, waits some period, then shuts it down.

Option to continue needs to be removed.

1 Like

Horn/strobes tend to get folks attention. Refrigerant alarm H/S I can hear over any mechanical equipment. I usually have a few choice words when I hear them go off. Followed by more choices words of why they have the threshold to low.

1 Like

Piezo buzzers are loud, piercing, and hard to overlook unless you have selective range hearing loss.

@dallasmagna Chuck Graf has actually done an excellent job of locating FSEā€™s. The first one to come out and bid will be here Monday. Iā€™m just following chickā€™s* lead - he has a lot more knowledge in this area than I do and deserves the credit.

• Note, should read ā€œChuckā€ not ā€œChickā€ as Bill notes below ā€¦ too funny to edit out.
1 Like