Auto Tools Reorg

We just got a nice new tool cabinet that will actually be able to fit the needed tools we will be getting soon, it’s not completely organized or labelled yet, but everything from red one was moved over. We will soon be trying to implement a take and return a complete set of tools policy, so for example you would take a ratchet and complete socket set with you to worktable, then only return the complete set back to the tool cabinet (so no partially empty set should exist in tool cabinet).

6 Likes

We now have a reasonable collection of sockets along with a 1/2" air impact and 3/8" air ratchet. I painted all the tools green to match the tape on the floor.

I won’t be able to make labels for the drawers until next week and I forgot to tape label it for now, would someone mind labeling all the drawers with masking tape + sharpie for now?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UMqjQQ-LkXg/VRtYhT07aHI/AAAAAAAAdoo/2rLcCYgQSLo/w958-h709-no/IMG_20150331_213111.jpg

3 Likes

1 Like

If a list of labels needed can be provided, I can get those printed.

We can print them at the space on one of the brother ptouch label machines as well.

But I think they do not want “doohickeys, whatchamacallits, and thingamabobs” so I concur we need a list of labels

Yes, we need less technical terms that people can relate to!

If you guys want to go the little engraved “sign plastic” route, Bryan’s about to give that a shot soon for some machineshop signage. I’ll probably coordinate with him to try and see how that works out. I’ll let you know how it goes and if you later supply the materials, I’ll do it for free (sans invoice!).

Electronics has a computer based labeler on one of the benches. You are welcome to use it but we don’t have a dedicated PC for it yet.

We needed the computer based one for adding electrical symbols. The handhelds didn’t have Ohms, Capacitance etc.

Oh and we need to sweetalk Allen in helping us pick up a toolbox next week. Although we are only planning on a 27" wide rig. You should turn half of that thing into a smoker!

My mistake, I’d forgotten the space has a label printer. And, while I’m a fan of “Stabby things,” “Pokey things,” “Pully things” and the like, I’m certain not everyone else thinks the way I do or has the same sense of humor as I do. Although, I think we do need at least one shelf labelled for “Doohickeys and/or thingamajigs” for character.

1 Like

I was pondering the similar. Strippy, Cutty, Fluxxy, Solderry, Meassury, Shrinkkie

2 Likes

We have some labels now, I laser cut some cardstock and laminated it and attached magnets

Also decided to patch some of the holes in the auto area. The air chisel is a great mini jackhammer for removing the old patch material. It turns out that mixing all 10 pounds of patch material at once is never a good idea, did not need that much at all.

Before:

After:

2 Likes