Auto committee goals meeting, Thursday, Nov 6, 7pm

There will be a brainstorming meeting to discuss the goals and purpose of the automotive committee this Thursday at 7pm (likely in the Hands on classroom). Anyone interested in anything automotive related is welcome to attend.

We have lots of tools, an awesome (heated / cooled) work area, a running race car, and a need for interested members to help define how they would like to see this group grow.

I think the current purpose “Educate members on car repair and maintenance” is too narrow, in addition to the obvious providing necessary tools / environment to facilitate working on vehicles, I think we should also add promoting / educating people on car culture and all forms of motorsports. By organizing and getting groups of people to compete in local autocrosses, road rallies, attending car meets, going on drives/cruises I think we can build a lot more interest in both DMS from new members and the automotive committee from existing members.

2 Likes

Sounds fun, given a major crisis I’ll try and be there. Would be interesting to start to exploring the modification side of things which is where I think is fun.

Some suggestions in case I don’t make it:

1. Car electronics hacking (http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/01/technology/security/car-hack/)
    a. On a smaller note, I helped kickstart the OBDLink MX wifi and link it to a mobile app to monitor my cars sensors and computer codes, which is really neat. When I pull in to my driveway it connects to my wifi and uploads all of my data from the last drive. (haven’t quite figured out what I’m going to do w/ that data, but that’s besides the point)
    b. Self driving cars, I’m absolutely fascinated by the new Tesla “auto-pilot” features they just announced. (http://www.slashgear.com/how-smart-will-teslas-model-s-autopilot-be-14350454/) I know they aren’t the pioneers, google has been doing this for years, but they are first to put it in the hands of consumers.

2. I’ve always wanted to learn more about the fiberglass process. Making custom fiberglass consoles, speaker boxes, etc. Carbon fiber would be more interesting to learn, but I know it’s about 3x more expensive and fiberglass is the place the start.

I’m sure there are other areas I’m also interested in but these too are the ones that I always keep coming back too.

I’ll definitely try to make it, but I’m not sure what time I’ll be done with my flights that day. I’d love to campaign for the tire changer I mentioned in another thread :wink:

Also, want to get involved a bit more in helping others do Mx on their cars. Been working on my own vehicles for years (Porsche 951, GMC Jimmy, Toyota Camry, Jeep LJU) and can do pretty much anything short of rebuilding a transmission. (have not tried, and don’t have the tools).

I am also for a modification / fabrication of vehicles.

• Electric Conversion
  • Biodiesel conversion
  • Storm Chasing / zombie apocalypse car?
  • Create Go Carts, electric or not
  • Make have tank treads?
  • Make with the Mecanum Wheels? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel

Besides those things I would like basic courses offered. IE:changing brakes, brake lines, spark plugs and other basic maintenance.

1 Like

Sorry if I am double posting this. Still working out how this new-fangled Discussion thing works.

I will be there for sure. Several ideas:

1. DIY Motorcycle Maintenance and Modification Meet-up. Potential membership promotion.
  2. Cars & Coffee in Plano. Set up a table, bring some interesting cars/bikes. Hand out literature.
  3. Pate Swap Meet. Get a space and take the Lemons car. Promote the space to 10,000 DIY’ers.
  4. Invite some car clubs to visit, have a wrench day. Pick up some members.
  5. Convert the Lemons car to an SCCA racer. Might be cheaper than running in the Lemons race, with all the fees.

Also, I second all the ideas above.

See you then

We should trailer the Lemons car to the next Cars & Coffee. Although it will slow down a bit due to cooler weather.

Do we know if any DMS members have a car trailer we could borrow at times? Renting a uhaul trailer is a bit of a hassle

If I have time I may try to make it out.

If anyone is interested in some diesel work, I may be able to bring my Duramax 6.6L engine in. (I have the ECU sent off for stand-alone programming right now.)

Although I can bring in some wiring and show how to delete all non-essential wiring for a stand-alone engine swap.

I won’t be able to make it - Sorry folks

I am interested in the results of the meeting, and am willing to coordinate bringing back Edward (the Lemons car) when you are ready.

Me Either… Just picked up a trip to Chicago and back tomorrow / Friday. Looks like this thread will be a great place to keep details… Maybe make a post during the meeting with questions / comments that us slackers :wink: might be able to chime in on.

1 Like

I would love to see Dallas Makerspace get into self driving autonomous vehicles! When I was in Grand Junction Colorado this past summer, I was able to check out the vehicle that some of their members worked on. Neat stuff!

http://www.gjmakerspace.org/karl-castleton-present-fully-autonomous-nissan-xterra/

Here are the notes from the meeting, anyone have any thoughts / comments?

Overall the goal of any activity of the automotive committee should be driving DMS membership, we clearly have an incredible value proposition when you compare DMS membership to the cost of mechanics or places like Jack Junkies(now closed) where you can rent a work area. And thats not even counting projects and classes which will help attract lots of people.

Classes

We discusses several ideas for different classes, to start out with Chuck will be organizing a motorcycle based maintenance / class / meetup that will be focused on a teaching / chalktalk portion followed by hands on. Starting with motorcycles will both be easier to run and attract an under served market.

Several members have ‘spare’ vehicles that could be used to teach classes on, future planning of using these vehicles and organizing car specific classes will likely wait until after the lemons race, as we will soon be in holidays followed by being very busy getting the race car ready.

Events

The next Cars & Coffee is Dec 6th, we will organize a group to attend from DMS

We want to start hosting a ‘wrench day’ once a month, where its an open time for people to come and work on vehicles. There would be several members there just focused on helping others with their projects / problems. Instead of just us starting from scratch Chuck has some contacts with some existing car clubs(air cooled VWs) that typically have a monthly meet, we will try to host their next meet at DMS as a way to both test out this idea with a good number of people and hopefully attract new members.

Projects

For now the only project we want to undertake as a committee is the 24 hours of lemons race car. The next race in Denton is the weekend of Feb 28 - March 1, the entry deadline is Jan 3rd. We plan to move the car from storage at the end of December to begin working on it, we don’t anticipate much mechanical work but we should be ready to source a replacement engine even if its just to have a spare handy. The car will be left on jackstands in the auto area (2-3 feet from auto shelves) for up to weeks at a time when it isn’t stored outside while prepping for the race. Storage location of the car after the race is still TBD

There are lots of ideas for builds and interesting projects that we should look into in the future, a primary concern of starting lots of things is how to ensure that the project is successful and completed, without an external deadline pushing progress it will be tricky to be sure something actually completes.

Tools / Purchases

We couldn’t identify any large lack of tools right now, we have a decent amount of committee funds available(~500 dollars) for immediate purchase of any needed supplies.

Will be purchasing a new creeper and bluetooth code reader soon

Will continue to investigate installing a two post lift, next steps will be consulting with board members. The cost would be ~2,000 and a lift would improve safety vs jacks/jackstands. Would limit usage of lift to only certified members who would have to complete a training class.

The current concrete sealer seems to be doing a good job and preventing stains on the concrete as long as you quickly clean up any spills, given the unknown ability/effort of stripping the current sealer we are not currently planning on putting down any epoxy or other floor coating. Will re evaulate if staining or problems arrise.

We need to keep an eye out for purchasing a car trailer if we can find one, which would make working on project vehicles much easier. If anyone wants to donate an enclosed trailer that would be awesome, but a simple flat trailer is more realistic.

3 Likes