August 2022 Machine Shop meeting 8-27-22 5pm

Hey all,
Its that time again for another Machine Shop committee meeting. Again in the Lecture Hall at 5pm on Saturday the 27th.

We will discuss this meeting, items that we may want to send off to pasture for the soon to come auction.

We will also discuss other happenings in the Machine Shop

2 Likes

Another thing I wanted us to talk about was the Ultrasonic hardness tester. I know we have talked about it before in the past. I think it will fill a hole that we have with accurately measuring the hardness of materials. It will help the Blacksmithing group to test their knives after hardening . It will also help us determine if a part is too hard to cut or that its actually hardened after the heat treating. It is rather expensive for an ultrasonic version but fits our bill better than a Leeb rebound tester. The rebound style can be had for cheaper, but they do require more mass to get effective readings. So unless your knife is 10lbs, it wouldn’t work too well from my understanding.

Here is a link to a couple different models I’ve found so far. I will say I am a little leery of items/vendors I cant find too much information on.

1 Like

I think the Ultrasonic testers will be less susceptible to being "Makered"™ and last longer than the mechanical tester These testers maybe be able to test coating thicknesses with the right probe. Maybe even possible to spot voids in composite layups.

My big concern is we will need a cabinet that is RFID controlled where it is logged and out or it will find a new “forever home” like so many of our precision gauges. We really need a cabinet like that so we can start building up precision measuring tools for use on the surface plate or other precision high pilferage items. Definitely a training required tool.

You are correct in that Blacksmithing would likely make use of it. Maybe be some other committees that have use for such a tool.

I didn’t realize it’s the size of a small multimeter. If we go forward, we need to discuss setting up a permanent station for it, with it safely secured so it can’t walk away. People need to bring their material to it instead of vice versa.

4 Likes

I like that idea Chris.

2 Likes

Here is the meeting information

To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/eoh-otsx-cgz
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 508-901-9327 and enter this PIN: 982 457 020#
To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/eoh-otsx-cgz?hs=5