Attach catalytic converter

Does anyone know of a good shop that can weld on a new catalytic converter. I already have the part, i just didn’t realize that my car requires the converter to be welded on when i got it. All the places near me that i google either won’t take outside parts, or don’t have welding capabilities. I would prefer a place in Arlington, or by the Makerspace if possible, although i will take anywhere in DFW if that’s not an option

Can you pull the exhaust all the way out of the car to weld on?

Ask Stan - he had a cat break free of the flange and I suggested finding a local muffler shop to weld it back in place (not replace it - just re-weld it) - which he did.

Can you post photos of the cat you sourced?

I had to deal with a similar issue a few years ago, in that I needed a cat converter installed in place of the pipe that was where the cat used to be, to pass inspection. I stopped at several different shops and they all told me no, they could only replace it with a stock/oem cat vs the aftermarket cat that I had purchased from oreilly’s. I ended up cutting the old pipe off and “temporally” clamping the cat in place, one of these years maybe I will weld it on myself…

1 Like

https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/catalytic-converter/universal-catalytic-converter/275064_944001_5320
this is the one i got

Zach,

I’m not a fan of “universal” parts for cars in most cases, but this like many other situations can most likely be remedied at the Space with the help of folks within…

My suggestion (this is a rough guess without looking under your car at your exhaust) would be to raise the car up and measure the distance where you plan to install the new cat, and make sure there is clearance for it (diameter/length). With the help of (awesome) Luke S. or one of the other folks that are cleared to weld at the space you could have them weld an extension on to your new cat on either end. You could then install it using traditional exhaust clamps or sleeve type clamps or reducers to slide over or into the ends of the pipes that you cut in order to remove the factory cat from your car.

This would take some time and patience but could be done at the Space without going to a muffler shop (where they may or may not help you).

2 Likes