Asking for, and offering... HELP

Well I stirred up more than I wanted.

My response was about watching, not leering. The ladies can take a 2x4 to the leering types as far as I’m concerned.

My response was on safety issues, but I would not rule out comments when someone is making a task way harder than it needs to be.

Do be aware that different things drive “watching”. I’d be likely to take a second glance at a left handed woodworker simply because it’s not my “normal”. As for gender, males and females do things differently … example: most men strike a match toward themselves, women do the opposite. In like manner men & women lift & carry items differently. So it is likely to catch my attention if a woman is carrying lumber differently than I would. I’d be more likely to watch longer when the ergonomics are different.

People bothering you when you are working … If they aren’t helping, and especially if they are hindering, I would choose to tell them to stop. I would not choose to endure it until I was frustrated. Life’s too short to waste emotional energy on things you can change. Example: it’s ok to treat a pestering adult the same way you treat a pestering kiddo. Every parent has dealt with one and figured out how to get on with life. Kiddos come in all ages!

Probably forgot an item or two, but hopefully the drift is clearer.

2 Likes

If it’s any comfort, I’m a 37yo white male with a decent beard, and I generally think it looks like I know what I’m doing… and I can’t escape a trip to the wood shop without unsolicited advice or someone literally standing over my shoulder asking what I’m making :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve also fired a 2x4 into my thigh off a table saw (different shop).

One of the things I love about the makerspace is that it’s full of knowledgeable people who are eager to help. Unfortunately some of those people are unaware and some are, as @bertberaht so gently put it, assholes.

Keep making and doing! And I hope whoever took the lumber from your hands either had a good safety reason to do so or got one helluva splinter.

2 Likes

DMS seems to attract a lot of introverts but it also attracts a lot of people who think they’re introverts but are actually not very shy about shooting the shit with strangers. I’m one of them.

While I probably wouldn’t approach someone unless I saw a real safety problem, I’m not beyond a little banter if I recognize a familiar face. Don’t read more into it than there is. You probably aren’t as much an object as you think you are :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this is the perfect time to always remember that the RIP FENCE and MITER GAUGE should NEVER be used at the same time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You can use them together when there’s not an offcut, no? For example, cutting a rabbet or dado slot. The main concern with the miter and rip fence is that the offcut is trapped between the blade and the fence and is therefore much more likely to kickback at dangerous speeds.

I have seen this video and agree in principle, but don’t think it should be used at DMS. Too many members would not be able to recognize when the cut would be high enough to allow the blade force to overwhelm the board strength and break the trapped wood free.

Falls in the “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” realm.

Plus there is no reason to. Just clamp a small offset block to the fence at the edge of the table. If the block is 3/4" thick, set the fence 3/4" further away. Then touch off your work against the block for sizing and make the cut knowing you have a gap in the cut zone that keeps a bind from happening.

5 Likes

Haha! This cracked me up. I think most of us are honest enough to know we’re not the interesting part… it’s what we’re working on :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Eve,

Was the rip fence me you were referring you?

I don’t remember if it was you I went up to but I saw someone the other day with a piece the was probably ~7-8 inches wide by 2-3inches cutting tenons by hand on the powermatic while a wood shop basics class was going on and I went over and pointed it out to the instructor and then I waited till they had their hand away and suggested and then brought over a miter gage for safety reasons and explained briefly why. The piece was so small that cutting like that on the powermatic someone could run a slot through their thumb really quick.

2 Likes

Eve -

I’ve hesitated to comment on this because I know how frustrating it can be to constantly have others breathing down your neck correcting something that doesn’t really need correcting.

I want to reiterate that the woodshop is a “Stop Work” environment. If anyone (including you), for any reason feels that the actions of anyone else are unsafe- they may call and enforce a stop to that persons’ actions. Perception of safety must always prevail over perception of slight.

I imagine that many of the members who are stopping you are not doing so to slight you, but to make sure that you get to go home with all your digits in the right place: the most important maker skill of all.

8 Likes

This was very informative, thank you!
For what it’s worth, I was in fact making tenons.

I did have to make a cut to some 1/4" material. (while my blade was still set at my tenon height, and I didn’t want to change it) I used a push stick to hold the material near the fence so there would be no kickback.

No. That’s not the reason for 90% of my interruptions.

Probably not me, because I was scolded for using the miter gauge for just this reason.

1 Like

Something DMS folk should keep in mind: There are a number of members who know things that just ain’t so. Example: One experienced woodworker posted that stops should not be used on the miter saw to keep from squeezing the part between the blade and the stop. In that case the person was confusing the bind potential with a fence on a table saw with the miter saw. It is perfectly ok to use a stop with a miter saw cut (and a stop on the miter gauge for a table saw as long as the fence is out of the way, for that matter).

My point is that when someone comes up to you with a safety “issue” … consider it an opportunity to discuss the hazard involved. One of you will learn something. If it is you, you are better for it. If it is the other person who is off base, then they will be better off. Can’t agree … well, Google is never far away.

How we know things that just ain’t so is the subject of the book “How We Know What Isn’t So” by Thomas Gilovich. It’s a worthwhile read in the event you are curious.

7 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Glovich and Sundries

I think the original topic has run its course.

2 Likes