Ask Me! (discussion about shirts/tags/hats/pins/etc... for New Member Integration)

NOTES:

• There are two different fonts shown. The more rounded font does not print well (it’s very pixelated for some reason). The “Army” font prints pretty good, so that’s what I will be using for now.

• Our PR Chairperson, Luis (@lv311), liked having “Have Questions? Ask Me!” (vs just “Ask Me!”), so that will be used on any stickers/buttons that I make for now…

• I have been printing both “Visitor” and “Guest” to see if our visitors/guests seemed to have a preference. No preference has been noted from the visitors/guests on Tour Nights. I believe we are going to start using “Visitor” going forward (after the current supply has been depleted).

• Luis advised that someone suggested that we add an area where members/visitors can write their name using dry erase markers on the buttons. I created a couple of buttons with a white area; but, it’s way too small. I received some suggestions from other members that I am going to try to incorporate to have more space for a person’s name. Once I get a couple made, I will provide them to Luis for review. After I get some feedback about them, I will work with Luis to determine whether we should have a mix of buttons (some with an area for names, some without), or if we should focus on one or the other. More about all that in a week or two - after he has a chance to get feedback from the member(s) who suggested adding an area to write a name, etc…

NOTES:

• The 3D Printed buttons look great in person! (Much better than the picture shows!)

• I made a handful of “New Member” buttons. I’ve received a lot of good feedback from them. I will make some more before this coming Tour Night.

• "Have Questions? Ask Me!" Stickers vs Buttons vs anything else someone wants to make/wear: I will continue to print stickers for members who prefer stickers; and, I will make more buttons soon. No changes in design - other than already noted - will be made at this time. If YOU have something else that you would like to wear that makes it obvious that you are open to questions, PLEASE feel free to wear it! We only ask that you ONLY wear “Ask Me!” related items when you are available and willing to answer questions! :dms: :smiley:

NOTES:

These are v2 of the “something else” that Luis had mentioned. He has been having Tour Guides wear these to see how well they are received. (The v1 have a different logo on one side and a “Hello” sticker on the other side; the v2 have the Dallas Makerspace Logo on one side, and whiteboard to write the Tour Guide’s name on the other side… The v2 are a really big improvement over v1, in my opinion! Volunteer Tour Guides who wear them seem to like them. My only concern is having something ‘dangling’ around tools; however, that should not be an issue during a tour, so as long as they are secured or removed while working on any equipment, they should be OK. :smiley: )

MY Suggestions for the above items:

• The v2 Tour Guide Glasses are cute. If the Tour Guides like wearing them, I would say we should have some more made - as long as they are always secured/removed prior to using any tools,

• The “Have Questions? Ask Me!” stickers, buttons, etc… I would like to continue to have at least some stickers available for members who prefer them. I would also like to make a dozen or two buttons. However, I will hold off on making many more buttons until Luis has a chance to get feedback on whether having an area to write a name on the buttons - and/or not - would be preferred. I may make half a dozen more without the name section sometime this week - since we only have a couple left, then plan on having more made once a decision is made to include an area to write a name or not is made…

I would like to encourage any member who has an idea that they would like to wear that goes along with “Ask Me!” to be creative and “Go For It!”. (Just remember to be ready and willing to answer questions anytime you wear anything to do with “Ask Me!” on it! :dms: :smiley: )

• I still want to look into having a “Have Questions? Ask Me!” design for hats and shirts soon.

• The “Visitor” stickers and buttons… I personally still feel that if the sticker/button is made solely for making it easy to identify someone who is ‘visiting’ or ‘new’, that it would be more cost effective to just use stickers for our visitors. While they are not reusable, when printed in bulk they will be much cheaper than buttons (and, buttons are very likely to accidentally be worn home by our visitors, so wouldn’t really be ‘reusable’ in that context anyway…). However, if we accept (or perhaps encourage?) visitors to keep the buttons as a memento, and are willing to accept the higher cost, then the buttons are nice… It really depends on whether we plan on the “Visitor” sticker/button to be temporary or something for our visitors to keep as a ‘souvenir’ so to speak. Stickers are definitely cheaper; but, buttons would possibly be a nice “give away”. If we went with buttons as as ‘give away’, I think I would probably change the wording to something along the line of “I visited Dallas Makerspace and I Loved it!” (or some other similar ‘slogan’… or not). These things can be determined in the near future, after Luis can get more feedback from our members and visitors. :wink: :smiley:

• The “New Member” buttons. I would like to move forward and make a couple/few dozen “New Member” buttons to give to our new members at the time that they receive their key cards/fobs - if they want one. In this case, the price is definitely worth it, as a new member may be inclined to wear it the first few times they return - so the durability for repeated use makes sense.

What do y’all think?