Ask Me! (discussion about shirts/tags/hats/pins/etc... for New Member Integration)

Hi @Eric_Brunner!

To be honest, a LOT of us use “DMS” and “The 'Space” during casual conversation; and, there is nothing at all wrong with either!

The real issue is when posting things that are directed at visitors and new members - who may not be familiar with the terms… “DMS” pulls up all sorts of stuff; and, none of the results on the first ten pages (or more… I stopped at ten) point to anything at all related to Dallas Makerspace. In fact, the first two things I see when I search for “DMS” using the incognito option in Chrome (to ensure it’s not pulling up pages that I’ve already visited first), are:

What Urban Dictionary pulls up for DMS… YIKES! :scream:

It’s primarily for those reasons that we strongly encourage the use of spelling out “Dallas Makerspace” in print - especially in public facing posts/documents that will be viewed by non-DMS members. Once Dallas Makerspace has been spelled out, a lot of us will use “DMS” further down the post/document, if it’s clear that we are still referring to the same place. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome, understood, and Thank You! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@LisaSelk 6 for $1for buttons

3 Likes

Yes Lisa! Always coming in the Clutch!!

When we sign up for badges can we make the instructions more specific? Like:

1. Go to dallasmakerspace.org
    Picture

2. Under Member Portal select MakerManager Badges
    Picture

I’m just thinking that so there would be no room for them to ask other members questions.

1 Like

Ok makes sense I just didn’t want to step on any ones toes or bring in something that was already done. If you and the other people who are working on an idea have agreed to it, then ok.

1 Like

Ok I just read where it says go to Dallasmakerspace.org/makermanager. Thanks again Lisa. I guess if we can have these printed out and possibly laminated then we can mark this item as completed. Going to print off 5 copies.

1 Like

I did a re-write of this back when I first saw it, that I thought flowed better. I don’t think anyone else has ever seen it. You may use or discard this information as you see fit…

1 Like

Allright even better!! I’m trying to find the Samsung Printer on DMS’ network. I’ll go ahead and print your version. Thanks!

1 Like

\\PRDC1\DMS-Copier

I hear, never used it…

2 Likes

Can we make some that say:

“Don’t Talk to Me!”

“I’m Invisible”

“Go away!”

“No I Can’t Fix Your VCR”

Just kidding

:party_on:

2 Likes

If they came in on an open house night and previously signed a waiver, won’t that count as well, allowing them to bypass attempting to repeat this step? …not mentioned in the “before we start” re-write.

As far as I know, yes.
And it is explicitly mentioned in the “before we start” section:

1 Like

@jast…my bad. I was reading that as though they had to sign a waiver AFTER joining by making the arrangements mentioned as I was thinking they wouldn’t get this information until they had already joined and therefore raising the question of whether the waiver they signed BEFORE they joined, if they came in for a tour or other visit, was still in effect - not just to activate a badge AFTER they joined.

Nvm… :no_mouth:

1 Like

Pins are coming with Nicole! I had surgery Sunday, so no driving for me for at least a week (maybe two!), so Nicole has graciously agreed to bring the pins for me!

2 Likes

Dedication. Thanks and hope you feel better!

1 Like

My response to another related thread, which is relevant to this one:

Thanks for confirming the pricing information @uglyknees! I really appreciate it!

I will toss two bucks in myself and will be making about a dozen either tomorrow or Thursday to see how they look… I’m going to print two versions of each - one of each printed in color on white paper, and one of each printed in black on colored paper - to see which version looks better, and then see if there is enough interest from the @PR_Team to pay for a bulk bag of button guts (and colored paper, if they look better on it - which I suspect will be the case, since the colors and the black ink should both be more vivid that way…).

Thanks again! I’ll post actual photos of the buttons once I get 'em done… I’ll probably wait to work on them until the labels I ordered for stickers have arrived, so I can just work on all of them at the same time ~ w00t! :slight_smile:

edit to add: Do you (or the members of the @Creative_Arts_Team who have been ordering the button blanks that y’all have) have a preferred vendor - or do I just need to make sure that any button supplies that PR may approve the purchase of will work with our button maker tools? Thx again!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for going above and beyond to arrange for their delivery - right after having surgery!

I hope the procedure went well, and that you get feeling better real soon!!

American button company out of Plano they are a distributer so they only ship. Shipping is a bit much. We have approx 500 buttons right now at Dms.

1 Like

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

My post in another related thread is relevant in this thread, too: