As if the NIH has any credibility left

5 Likes

I thought the comment at the bottom: “You can’t make money off of healthy people.”, was pretty much spot on.

8 Likes

This stuff just feels like straight propaganda.

A bowl of sugary lucky charms cereal being healthier than ground beef just doesn’t seem right. I thought in the first reading that the article might be confusing the study, but in glancing they seemed to be quoting accurately.

All I can guess is that ground beef is considered worse because of cholesterol partly, but more likely calorie density. A cup of lucky charms with a cup of 2% milk comes out to 9.9oz of food and 243 calories, while 9.9oz of 70/30 beef comes to 932 calories. The cereal and milk are 1/4 the calorie density of standard ground beef. Even using 90/10 beef your at 428 calories for 9.9oz, still nearly double the cereal and milk.

That all said, it feels like the lower calorie dense processed foods are not making us healthier.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have diabetes . . . Lucky Charms is a bowl of death. How much protein and B vitamins. Guessing: A Vegan spouting propaganda. That’s their free speech right, just as it is for the rest of us to disagree.

5 Likes

What I still can’t get over is that the “study” (Data – The Tufts Food Compass) published over at Tufts (a “safety school” in new england area) called out cereals by brand name, e.g. Post Grap Nuts, or General Mills Cheerios, or Kellog’s Corn Pops. I mean…c’mon.

1 Like

From the Food Compass FAQ page

Why do some grain and cereal products score higher than animal products like eggs, cheese, or meat, and why do some plant-based products score lower than animal products?

The scientific evidence actually doesn’t strongly support making nutritional distinctions based on just the plant or animal origin of a food. Animal products like fish and yogurt can be quite healthy, other minimally processed animal products like eggs, cheese, and unprocessed red meat are often fine in moderation, and others that are more highly processed should be minimized. Similarly, plant-based foods can vary widely in healthfulness based on their contents of whole grains, fiber, protein, and other nutrients, and on their processing characteristics and additives. For example, Food Compass scores for white bread, white rice, and refined starch breakfast cereals are generally much lower than for most animal products.

Why do some breakfast cereals score higher than some eggs, cheese, or red meat?

The current science supports eating foods rich in whole grains and dietary fiber (prebiotics for the gut microbiome) as a generally healthier choice than eggs, cheese, or red meat, which are also often fine in moderation.* The scoring of breakfast cereals depends on their balance of whole grains, fiber, protein, sodium, vitamins and minerals, added sugar, processing, and more. Cereals that score highly will tend to be mostly or all whole grain and high in minerals and dietary fiber, with few added sugars and sodium. Cereals that score poorly will tend to be mostly refined starch and added sugar. Cereals that score in the middle will tend to be a mix of whole grains, fiber, and added sugar. One of the major advances of Food Compass, compared to other common nutrient profiling systems, is the negative scoring of refined grains and starch, resulting in low scores for cereals, breads, and crackers that are mostly refined grains — even when they have no added sugars or are fortified with vitamins and minerals. Thus, cereals, breads, and crackers that contain mostly refined starch and/or sugar generally score lower than many egg, cheese, poultry, or red meat items.
The Food Compass system also includes negative processing points for artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, and corn syrup, but data on these additives were not available in the USDA Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) used for our research to-date. So, cereals containing these additives should score lower than reported in our current scoring summaries, and we hope to obtain and add such data in future work.
If you prefer eggs for breakfast, look for higher scoring egg preparations; and if you prefer breakfast cereal, look for higher scoring cereals. And even better, add other highest scoring foods to your plate — like vegetables and healthy oils to your eggs, and fruit and nuts to your cereal — to increase the Food Compass score and healthfulness of your meal.

1 Like

From the Food Compass FAQ page:

Is Food Compass intended for patients with diabetes or other medical conditions?

Food Compass is designed for general nutritional guidance for the population. Planned next steps include customization for specific disease conditions, such as for diabetes or obesity, which could alter the scoring and rankings.

So far my fascination here is the apparent lack of any of the current trendy “plant-based” hyper-processed “food”, e.g. Impossible stuff.
This feels like one of those “conspiracy to destroy the farming/ranching industry” things I hear about (often involving Bill Gates, about whom many conspiracies swirl, so one never knows what to believe).
But given their apparent abhorrence of “processing”, how in the sam hill does an egg white in veg oil (both of which require significant processing) outrank a boiled egg (neither water nor an egg requires any processing)?

(I’m guessing ‘processing’ is part of why ground beef is ranked so low).

Like most stories that break their own rules, I lose interest as quickly as they destroy their own credibility. But the piratewires post makes some great points about how garbage publications based on garbage publications infiltrate our national psyche when they’re adopted by authorities, even with the best of intentions. And then there’s the wolves in sheep’s clothing…
Whelp, time to nuke a hot pocket and grab that Pepsi out of the freezer before it bursts. Bound to be something good watchable on TV…

5 Likes

You watch your mouth!

3 Likes

The window of opportunity may have closed on Impossible and Beyond.

I still remember when they tried serving “soy burgers” in the school cafeteria. They were different, spicier than beef which I liked. The experiment did not last long in a cattle-raising part of the state well before Oprah became a household name.

Plant-based “meat” can try for the following:

• Tastier than meat
  • Less expensive than meat
  • More nutritious than meat
  • Easier to prepare than meat
  • Easier or longer to store than meat
  • Better for the planet than meat

They do not appear to be better in very many of these categories. They missed a major opportunity to try to be cheaper than meat in the last couple of years. Then they jumped the shark with stuff like chickenless wings.

2 Likes

FTFY :grinning:

Wandering OT …

I tried the Impossible Whopper a few times. So long as I didn’t have another beef burger to compare it to in a short time span it was tolerable. But that’s faint praise and I gather from fans of old-school beef alternatives - ala Boca - that it’s a lot of effort to approximate the likes of texture without any significant improvement to flavor.

Impossible et al would argue that this is within the realm of possibilities (har) in the future since the fundamental energy physics of beef production cannot be markedly changed relative to growing plants. But they’d likely need to simplify the processing that goes into their product

1 Like

I remember those weird things, they had a strange color to them the texture was off - made movie Solent Green very scary,

Like Erik I tried some of the Hippie Burgers. I had some called Southwest Something. But when I got it I didn’t try to compare it to the Solent burgers of my youth to beef, Just tried it for what it was. I actually though it was okay and they got the texture much better down on the commune. The problem it cost about about 40% more than beef. Why eat the food the cow eats when you can eat it cheaper.

6 Likes

There is a limited window of opportunity for non-egg eggs while supply is short and prices are high. Many of us would like to be able to enjoy raw cookie dough and runny eggs again without salmonella concerns.

If these people were so smart, they would be taking advantage of the current high prices and supply disruptions.

WTF WEF?

I have been hearing this week that the next major push is food derived from insects.

Adds a whole new meaning to Grubhub…

4 Likes

The food pyramid has always been unnecessarily complicated. It’s best to use KISS. (Keep It Simple… Spiderman) My family has always been unusually long lived and I can only attribute that to our strict adherence to the four basic food groups. Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol and Lard.

5 Likes

My grandfather (Dad’s father) was a heavy smoker. He lived to something like 95. He swore that he could quit anytime he wanted. We all said, “yeah, sure you can.” On day he just quit. Cold Turkey.

What’s the saying/joke: “Quitting smoking is easy…I’ve done a hundred times!”

1 Like

PETA: People Eating Tasty Arthropods…

2 Likes

This is my go-to site for all news cow and cowboy related:

2 Likes