Articles about DMS

Not particularly proud of this work, but if you can look past the fact that it is mine, most of the content from this was converted into a summary table and included in the following journal paper:

Singh, N., & Chandra, N. (2013). Retrospect of machine learning techniques for designing secure system. International Journal of Computer Applications, 68(20).

Cited as:

Mark Havens, “Brief History of Computer Security”, Dallas makerspace, 2010.

2 Likes

We need to figure out the weight of all our tools !

Perhaps we need to get out and do something in the community more rather than staying in our space.

• Find out if we are the biggest makerspace in the world after we expand.
  • Cosplay! Host a makery event at a mall / show our stuff at a movie theater / of course local comic cons.
  • Start teaching classes off-site and in public.
  • Start having more things like the what they print making people did but under the Dallas Makerspace banner.
  • Devote more money to doing these kinds of outreach
  • Pay Honorariums for outreach
1 Like

Find out if we are the biggest makerspace in the world after we expand.

Making a claim and having that claim printed in the paper would be enough for Wikipedia, per their rules, actually. We just need three full feature articles to established the credibility that would make DMS notable.

Our name is already a link, just begging for someone to click on it and create a page…

On another topic, when I was in college a long time ago in a place far far away, we had something we called the “student shop.” For an annual fee, we were given a key to access a small woodshop. Today, that would be called a makerspace. I wonder whether they have since added a 3D printer, laser cutter or other CNC tooling.

1 Like

Creating a page and getting it to stick are two different things. If someone creates a page without following the guidelines… it will be gone in a few days. Or at best, you’ll get into a dispute with other editors until someone gives up, gets blocked, or gets banned.

If you can forgive my face for spoiling what would otherwise be a good video, GeekBeat.TV did what I would consider a full feature episode on Dallas Makerspace. Cali Lewis introduced the concept of a Hackerspace/Makerspace, cites DMS as an example, and conducts all interviews at DMS.

DMS on GeekBeat.TV

GEEKBEAT.TV”. [geekbeattv] (2011, Jan 31). A Look Inside the World of Hacker Spaces. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGosUHqw8U&t=262s

1 Like

From our Youtube …

Dallas Makerspace members Greg Needel, Gus Reiter, Romeo Espana, and Otto Wagner on Fox 4’s Good Day to demo the Trivia Vending Machine they made for Red Bull Creation 2013.

It has the logo of DMS but not much else …:frowning:

1 Like

Greg represents the Space at the end of this, discussing DMS for about 30 seconds, with a website mention and everything…

1 Like

Adding to Draco’s Question:
We are not the biggest in physical space there is one that is 60,000 sf makerpsace, I’ve heard is larger - 100,000+sf. But by paid membership we believe we are the largest in the US (North America)

Looking back at Franks Lima’s post from Feb '17:
Based on the self reported numbers on Hakerspaces.org we are the 5th largest.
DKK edit however, bold italics and bullets my update

Given this info I think we can confidently say:
“The Dallas Makerspace is the largest non-profit Member supported Makerspace in the U.S.”

Edit: This made my day: https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/P'yŏngyang_Hackerspace20
I think they are underreporting their membership :stuck_out_tongue:

I think we are very safe in saying we: “The Dallas Makerspace is the largest non-profit Member supported Makerspace in the U.S.”

1 Like

@LukeStrickland suggests he’s already got the page written, and is honing it and/or needs citations (those being the purpose of this very post).

1 Like

We already have a news article that says that we are “one of the largest, if not the largest, nonprofit, volunteer-run makerspaces in the country” per Dallas Morning News.

1 Like

I’m thinking more about what can be said truthfully when given tours. Also, our numbers can be verified in real time at: https://accounts.dallasmakerspace.org/member_count.php

You can find the Draft here:

Someone named BrainDozer has started helping out.

Is that someone on talk here? Ideally we can get together before we submit it for review again.

1 Like

I gave up on Wikipedia years ago, during the great moderator wars… I’d have revisions reverted that fixed spelling and grammar errors only, no content changes at all, across a wide number of articles.

'Tis a silly place.

I bet you didn’t give references to the dictionary with the correct spelling, did you? haha

There is no talk user with that handle.

There was an article about us in the Dallas Morning News a couple of years ago. I tried to get you a link, but this machine didn’t like the webpage.

I stumbled on this one

Beth can you give me any more to look for it, Im fairly decent at search

Was it in post 10?

:wink:

2 Likes