Articles about DMS

Hey folks,

Does anyone have more sources / references / mentions of the Dallas Makerspace?

I’m working with some wikipedia moderators to get our article approved. I was able to write a successful article, without advertising, however it was rejected for lack of credible sources.

I’ve included the following sources:

Here are the guidelines for substantial coverage at wikipedia:

• A news article discussing a prolonged controversy regarding a corporate merger,
  • A scholarly article, a book passage, or ongoing media coverage focusing on a product or organization,
  • A documentary film exploring environmental impact of the corporation’s facilities or products,
  • An encyclopedia entry giving an overview of the history of an organization,
  • A report by a consumer watchdog organizations on the safety of a specific product,
  • An extensive how-to guide written by people wholly independent of the company or product (e.g. For Dummies).

Thanks,
Luke

4 Likes

Completely out of left field, but isn’t everything done by DMS members technically wholly independent of “the company”?

1 Like

Several articles to choose from on Hackaday.

Outside of their tagged articles, we contributed to another article on insurance.

1 Like

Thanks @ESmith

I wonder if we can get an article picked up about our donations to the Foothills Community Workshop

1 Like

We are (slighly) mentioned here (search on ‘dallas’):

http://fcwhack.com/

1 Like

We need specific articles to improve our visibility though. One mention half way down isn’t good for wikipedia :frowning:

1 Like

Yep…understood. Maybe reaching out to the Foothills folks to see if they might be able to gin up some local write-up (if they haven’t already?) and ask them to be sure to mention DMS?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not sure if Reddit counts.

Mentions not an article

1 Like

Does this help?

EDIT ADDITION:

2 Likes

Was this made at DMS or did the person just get interviewed there? It only mentions DMS once but I think it could count towards ongoing coverage if there’s a Nerdist article too? I don’t wiki so maybe way off base. Either way it’s pretty cool if this is a member.

1 Like

This seems like something that should be linked here…

1 Like

Several of his costumes were made at DMS and he is a member.

I am trying to get a PDF copy of the several page article on DMS VECTOR from Pinball Magazine where Nic, Jayson and myself were interviewed. This magazine is a international magazine that focuses on pinball and arcades. Each issue is 200+ pages and more like a collector book. Our article was published in issue 4. We have also been mentioned numerous times on Pinball News that reports on pinball happenings, events and games and many other arcade gaming websites.

6 Likes

I can’t distribute the journal, but here is another DMS mention excerpt:

1. For instance, Dallas Makerspace lists the following tools on their spaces wiki: TM733 VHF/UHF Transceiver, DX-SR8 HF Transceiver, R-2000 Receiver, EV Charging Station, Bike Repair Stand, Wheel Truing Stand, Microscope, Freeze Dryer, 120W Laser Cutter, 100W Laser Cutter, 3-D Printers, 3-D Scanner, 3-D Plotter/Router (Works with Foam, Soft Woods—Missing Parts), Vinyl Cutter, Screen Press, Computer Controlled Knitting Machine, Sewing Machine with Computer Controlled Embroidery, CNC PCB Router, Microscope with Light, Power Supply, Universal Counter/Timer, Oscilloscope, Switch/Control Unit, Function Generator, LCR Meter, ESR Meter, Decade Resistance Box, Air Compressor, Honeywell Compressed Air Dryer System (attached to Quincy Compressor), Electric Kiln, Small Kiln, Knee Mill, Gear Head Lathe, CNC Milling Machine, Parts Washer, Metal-Cutting Band Saw (20′′), Drill Press, CNC Plasma Cutter, 6′′ Cut-Off Saw, 14′′ Cut-Off Saw, Propane Fired Forge, Stick Welder, Lincoln Electric MIG Welder, Flux Wire Welder, Hobart Handler 210 Welder, Anvils and Other Blacksmithing Tools, Angle Grinder, Acetylene Torch and Regulator Set, Horizontal Band Saw, Sandblasting Cabinet, Grinder, 5-Ton Hydraulic Press, MultiCam CNC Router, 12′′ Wood Jointer, Planer, Double Bevel Miter Saw, Table Saw, Tracksaw, Random Orbital Sander, Orbital Finish Sander, Dust Extractor, Router Table, Joiner, Scroll Saw, Lathe with 12′′ Swing and 34.5′′ Bed, 12′′ × 33-3/8′′ 3/4 HP Wood Lathe with Reversible Head, Drum Sander, Edge Sander, Belt and Disc Sander, Band Saw.

Eric Joseph van Holm (2017). Makerspaces and local economic development. Economic Development Quarterly, 31(2), 164-173.

1 Like

Here’s another excerpt from somebody’s Doctoral dissertation.

Open Community Events

From 2013 to 2015, I organized several pop-up style events that were open to the public. Parents and kids came together at locations including Dallas Makerspace in Dallas, TX, Alpha One Labs in Brooklyn, NY, and Travis Heights Elementary School in Austin, TX to experience a range of hands-on learning opportunities.

These workshops are informed by Seymour Papert’s constructionist theory, which sees “learning as a reconstruction rather than as a transmission of knowledge…Learning is most effective when part of an activity the learner experiences as constructing a meaningful product.”

A typical event is structured with concurrent workshops, all happening at the same time. They are self-paced and are facilitated by volunteer mentors. These mentors typically come in with no technical expertise in the workshop they’ll be leading, so training is important. A ratio of around five kids to one mentor is ideal. We strongly encouraged parents to stay and participate so they could go deeper into anything they learned when back at home. Since any given event provides only an introduction, it is important for parents and teachers to be able to expand later on what they learned.

These events have included do-it-yourself (DIY) biology experiments like strawberry DNA extraction, prototyping with microelectronics, paper circuits, stop- motion animation, DIY musical instrument creation, robotics, and more. I didn’t invent most of these workshops; there’s a huge community of “maker-focused” educators creating loads of amazing curricula for this sort of thing. However, learning from them has informed my own designs greatly.

In a workshop at Dallas Makerspace the kids learned to create new musical tools, both high-tech and low-tech. In one room kids were creating their own instruments from a pile of donated cardboard boxes, rubber bands, balloons, straws, and glass jars.

In another room kids learned to solder and created contact microphones from piezo disks – a small and extremely cheap electronic component that makes the terrible noise in your smoke alarm. They used these to turn any object in the room– a trash can, a pencil, someone’s face—into an instrument they could run through a guitar amp.

Source:

Dixon, B. R. (2015). Technological doodling as a learning and design practice (Doctoral dissertation).

3 Likes

We are already listed under Notable Hackerspaces on Wikipedia but with no page.

1 Like

But we need our OWN page

I totally agree. I’m just saying that Wikipedia already accepted that it is notable and should grant us a page like they did many others on the list.

At one time someone said we needed more print coverage for staisfy the

This mention in a book could help with that, If nothing else I am sure that later this year we will
get some more for the expansion

1 Like