Art Givens Grand Prix

The sim rig has moved to its permanent home in the new arcade off the front lobby. Let’s kick off its new life with a bit of friendly competition.

We’re re-living our illustrious electronics chair’s glory days working corners for IMSA at local Oklahoma track: Hallett. Take out an insane 70’s group 5 beast: a Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick, a BMW e21 320 Turbo Bavarian Brawler or for the truly brave of heart, the Greenwood Corvette. Set your fastest lap in the month of April or May, and write it on the leaderboard. Winner gets a prize.

Ps. The sim rig computer has a local motorsports account that’s already all set up, no need to mess with the settings etc. PM me or hop in our Discord Server for the super secret password.

5 Likes

A little history here. 1977-78 was the start of the IMSA factory turbo wars between BMW (Dave Hobbs driving) and Porsche (Peter Gregg driving). In '78 Porsche brought their new twin turbo to Hallett. Your basic 30 lap race at an attrition track. I was part of the corner crew at turn 9. The Porsche retired about half way through the race - reportedly due to a broken half axle. This put the BMW in 1st followed by the Corvette. It was very entertaining to watch these 2 have at it. Lap times were very close if not identical. Dave Hobbs demoed how to lift a rear tire while belching fire and bottoming out part of the front air dam. The Corvette was loud - as in obnoxiously loud. You could hear the car work its way around the Hallett track from turn 9. Good times. Fun stuff. Fond memories of working the Hallett circuit.

Here’s the Vette that ran Hallett -

And here’s the Hallet track -

Your simulation package will need some 1k+ W of audio power to get close. You’ll know you got it when you can hear the simulation running at far points of the campus. :grin: :smirk:

6 Likes

I think this would’ve been the BMW. I’ll see if I can find it for the sim and we can replicate the duel.

3 Likes