Art consulting, handling, and installation class

Hi everyone,

Happy Monday. Hope everyone is staying dry.

I am somewhat new to the community. I have a lot of experience in the art business and I am interested in teaching a bit about how to curate, place, measure and install art for commercial, private, and museum spaces. There’s a lot of practical information I can provide, but art consulting can be a very creative endeavor.

I am looking to gauge interest and learn a bit about submitting a proposal for a class.

Thank you,
Jason Stallings

Here’s a bit about me: www.jason-stallings.com

1 Like

Hey Jason! Welcome to DMS! I’m one of the Fine Arts teachers here. We have a Fine Arts Special Interest Group get together this Thursday at 6:00pm in the space. Currently we have 4 Fine Arts teachers who teach different mediums: oils, watercolor, calligraphy, mixed media, etc. we don’t have anyone teaching acrylic, life drawing, photography, paper mache, origami, etc at this time (we do have different drawing classes though). We do welcome teachers of all fine art mediums.

Feel free to come by on Thursday and we can get a gauge if anyone is interested in these classes.
Events |Dallas Makerspace Calendar

Most of our classes are more for fun and basic foundations but you never know who has been wanting some of these more gallery style information from
Other committees.

I’m also tagging our creative arts committee chair @mreynolds so you can discuss with him the process of putting classes on the calendar and setting up your tax info.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Gena

1 Like

Hey Jason, Welcome to the space!
I had one class in ‘museum studies’ in college, and it was nothing like enough, I’d love to learn more.

At DMS we have an annual 10x10 art show, as well as our steam-roller print show- both are driven by members.
In addition to the Fine Arts SiG (club), Creative Arts is the parent Committee of that club, and it’d be wonderful if you could make our next monthly meeting in Feb. Events |Dallas Makerspace Calendar

Last year I hosted a new teacher seminar and I’d be happy to run you through the nuts & bolts of how to teach at DMS. Just let me know your availability, shoot me a PM here or over on our Discord Server (Members in Creative Arts hang out here in Talk and on Discord): Dallas Makerspace

In general, classes need to be 90 minutes, have three attending students, and teach ‘something’ you’ve already listed several topics that would be fine, it’s just letting the membership know you’re here!

1 Like

Piggy backing off Amelia! I haven’t taken a gallery class
Either since college and would love this!

One of my goals for 2024 is getting DMs fine arts students work submitted to art contests, juried shows etc and it’s been since 2004 since I’ve gotten work ready for these types of events!

Hi Genat and Amelia,

100% understand. I’ve worked as an art handler/installer in the past. It’s not necessarily the ‘fun’ side of the art business by any stretch, but it’s super useful information. My thinking would be more to get students to think about how to make decisions about how art fits in a space and what would go there. That’s the fun part so to speak.

I am tutoring a student who is a member also, and I am interested in getting involved beyond that at some point, once I am more familiar with the group. I am happy to stop by Thursday and get acquainted. Thanks for the warm welcome.

• Jason
1 Like