Are you a pandemic gun owner? Do you want to be one?

Judging by the news reports there are a lot of brand new gun owners these days. If you are a first time gun owner and would like some guidance on care and feeding and use of your new possession Hatcher’s Armory is a valuable asset.

If you are still in the market to buy a gun but are a bit overwhelmed with the variety of guns available this video is the best introduction to the general choices available that I have run across. It is about 38 minutes long.

Buying a gun is a little like buying your first vehicle. Try to be as logical as you can. That 2 seat sports car is real appealing but a mini van may be a better choice.

Hatcher’s has people that know a fair amount about guns and are very willing to share their personal prejudices about guns with you. :smiley: Feel free to comment here or PM me with any questions.

Russell Ward

11 Likes

Hey Russell,

I just picked up a S&W SW9VE for a song from my brother. He sold it with 4 clips and a holster for 4 boxes of 44 ammo. (Not even the magnum 44) I acquired the 44 ammo from another friend who just “had too much” and needed to unload some of it for a very reasonable price, too. I probably have less than a hundred in the gun.

I’ve read mixed reviews on the gun and I’ve not had a chance to fire it yet, but I was curious what you and the other Hatcher’s folks thought of the S&W Glock knockoff? It sure feels good in my hands. It is light like my Glocks, too.

2 Likes

Lol what guns?

Last time I was in Academy, the only thing they had handgun wise was Cowboy guns & long guns high end shot guns. This was about a month ago.

2 Likes

I’m not into “Saturday nite specials”. :laughing: My definition of a “Saturday nite special” is anything that fits through the top of a 55 gal. drum, sideways. My interest in hand guns is slight and my knowledge is shallow.

I don’t much follow the hand gun market and I have less interest in the latest models. You might have better luck getting detailed advice from some of the hand gun enthusiasts.

Russell Ward

4 Likes

I suspect that Academy isn’t high enough volume to keep much in stock. I was in Cabela’s earlier this week and although I didn’t look closely their gun racks seemed to be pretty full. And there were about 10 people in line to pay for guns.

I imagine life is good if you can have stock to sell.

Russell Ward

3 Likes

GT distributors in Dallas (almost in Garland) is a pretty good deal if you happen to hold a military I.D. Card

2 Likes

I haven’t tried one. If it is like the wife’s M&P 9C, it will be good. The 9C has become my wife’s favorite. But from what I’m reading, the Sigma may well be a good value, but not as refined as the M&P. As usual, you have to run enough through it to see if it is reliable and if it is a good fit for you. My wife and I can shoot each other’s guns ok, but we are both faster and more accurate with our own. Not just that we practice more with our own, but that we have wildly different grip sizes, and our selections reflect that. So the ergonomics of our own selections are a better fit for us.

2 Likes

@coloneldan, I have that gun in 40 for my EDC. It’s very reliable, however the trigger is not that great. There was a Lawsuit between Glock & S&W about the Sigma. I did a trigger job on mine.

There is a reason I carry a cheaper gun. Should I have to use it, It wont hurt as bad when they confiscate it into evidence. I suspect I might have other concerns but like to still be able to protect myself & family.

1 Like

GT is great; I even show up to their “glocktober” for the door raffles

2 Likes

GT also has police trade in’s from time to time.

2 Likes

Tim,

A friend of mine and I went there so he cook look at the police trade ins. That was when I asked about their military pricing.
The gal said with my military I.D., the new prices were cheaper than the police trade in prices…my buddy was not that happy.

GT has a 15% off sale every monday (not sure it applies to firearms)

5 Likes

I just bought my first plastic pistol, a S&W M&P 9mm. I figured my obsession with all steel, large caliber, single action pistols with an external safety might leave Nicole, @uglyknees, at a disadvantage should she need to defend herself.
Here’s a question though: are there any ranges that are open right now? I gotta put this thing through it’s paces.

3 Likes

Try Magnum Sport center in Sanger. They may be open. It is an outdoor range, nothing to write home about. Ie it’s not fancy.

1 Like

I keep thinking I need to buy at least a dozen acres well outside any incorporated municipality. But I’m not really in a position to do anything closer than what my parents already have 3 - 4 hours from here. At least if I really get the urge I can pack up a few and make a day of it. I would probably have to mow in front of the target stands and any firing lines we elected to use closer than 60 yards. They tend to let the range area go to wildflower habitat in the spring, and they have been getting some tall ones the last couple of years.

I can’t even guess if they would let me use the shower after mowing, or get within 20 feet of me (understandable considering the state of the world)

2 Likes

Bullet Trap in Plano. Indoor range…seen better days…but at least it is open for business.

2 Likes

Shoot point blank has several ranges open for limited hours around the metroplex. Also their gun prices are very reasonable and they have done a great job at communicating availability and outages of inventory.

Thanks for the range suggestions. Someone offered to take us as guests to the range where they have a membership.

1 Like

I found gunbroker nice because you don’t have to pay tax lol! Ffl transfer to your local gun range and pay 25 bucks - less than tax

1 Like

My hope is you don’t want to be a new pandemic gun owner, in my opinion you should have been a fun owner all along. That said, welcome to the club, gun ownership is a real responsibility and hopefully you feel confident in it after this pandemic is over, I’d recommend you get familiar and proficient with the safety and use of anything you own. CCL isn’t a bad place to start but not the only way.

FYI, I just received an email from Eagle Gun Range that they will be opening up on Saturday May 2nd.

2 Likes