Are there Sewing Courses on Learn?

Hello!

I don’t have any sewing experience, but my girlfriend, who isn’t a DMS member, does. Do I have to get signed off before using a sewing machine?

2 Likes

Yes you need to take sewing 101 to get signed off on the babylock machines, sewing 102 for the serger.

Even if your girlfriend knows how to sew, she needs to get signed off on the machines, too.

It’s a tool safety course - but it’s for the safety of the tool, lol. Sewing machines are easy to break.

1 Like

Thank you, Amelia! We’re interested in Sewing 101.

I’m assuming this is an in-person class, but I can’t find it in the calendar. Will there be one in the future?

There is no set schedule, but the class is typically offered about once a month. You just missed the July 23rd class. Keep an eye on the calendar. Another one should pop up within the next month or so.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thank you!

If you’ll let me know the availability for the two of you, I’ll see if I can get a class up. I am booked tonight and tomorrow night.

1 Like

Oh that would be wonderful! Thank you! I just checked with her, but we won’t be available during August.

We’ll be free in September:

• Saturday, Sep 2nd from 10 am to 3 pm
  • Sunday, Sep 3rd from 10 am to 6 pm
  • Saturday, Sep 9th from 10 am to 3 pm
  • Sunday, Sep 10th from 10 am to 6 pm

I know these dates are pretty far out, but if those weekends don’t work, we can try another weekend!

I would love to get signed off as well. I am also interested in getting signed off on the embroidery machine if this is possible. I’ll look out on the calendar

Just a smidge slow. It’ll be next month before I offer the embroidery machine again.

1 Like

How about Sun, 9/2 at 1pm?
If your girlfriend already knows how to sew, I can check her out on both the sewing machines and serger, while giving the regular sewing machine class for you. The serger really does need to be its own class, because it takes a bit to learn to thread it properly.

Expectations:
‘Checking out’ someone on a machine is intended for individuals that already have strong sewing skills.
If you need to learn to sew, we prefer that you take the Sewing Machine and Serger classes. This gives you time to practice using the machines, and become familiar with them while an instructor is present. And because the machines are a bit delicate, and it’s easy to hurt them.

Have you already taken the regular sewing machine class? What is your sewing proficiency?
‘Signing off/checking out’ someone on a machine is intended for those that already have the skills, and just need familiarity with our machine & procedures. If you don’t already know how to sew/have used embroidery machines before, you’ll need to take the class.

I have basic skills with a sewing machine, setup, basic stitching. I have never used an embroidery machine before.

1 Like

Saturday, 9/2 at 1 pm works for us!

My girlfriend knows how to sew, not serge. But that’s okay! We’re just interested in sewing, so you can check her sewing skills, while I can get the class.

Thank you so much!