Are there Polymaths among us at DMS?

To be clear, there seems to be a broad range of definitions for Polymath.

Webster’s dictionalry
“A person with encyclopedic knowledge.”

Vocabulary.com’s definition
“A person of great and varied learning.”

ChatGPT Prompt: What is the definition of polymath?"
An individual who has expertise or knowledge in a wide range of subjects or fields. Polymaths are characterized by their ability to excel in multiple areas of study or practice, often demonstrating proficiency across diverse disciplines such as science, art, literature, philosophy, and more. They possess a curious and versatile intellect, allowing them to engage deeply with various topics and to make connections between seemingly unrelated areas of knowledge.

I’m curious to see what others think since DMS is a community of doers and makers, many of which are quite accomplished in multiple dissimilar hobbies/skills/areas of knowledge.

Not that I believe anyone with multiple hobbies automatically qualifies as a polymath but what is it that draws that line?

Should it be limited to a select few that exhibit extraordinary diverse skills which is itself quite subjective to define.

Is it even acceptable for one to describe themselves as a polymath or must that title be given to them by others?

What do I think? I think DMS is an amazing place with an extraordinary mixture of exceedingly multi-talented and creative people that I feel fortunate to be around. There are most definitely Polymath’s among us…

3 Likes

This is a favorite topic of mine. I don’t think the level of accomplishment necessarily needs to be a factor in describing these individuals. It’s a big group.

A lot of people like to use the phrase, “Jack of all trades, master of none.” I prefer “Jack of all trades, master of some.” I recently came across the work of Emilie Wapnick on this subject (website, Ted Talk, Book) and found it really helpful. She uses the term “multipotentialite,” or “multipod.” Emilie helps explore why some of us have so many varied interests, and why many seem to start projects without finishing them. Some people need a steady schedule but variety within the day, others need a steady schedule and steady work but they need to change after a few months or years. Some of us need change all the time. Some of us reinvent ourselves after a decade or so. Sometime we have related interests, sometimes they have nothing to do with one another.

edited, too much blah blah blah

1 Like

Some people stick with master of none, not because they aren’t accomplished in some fields, but either because they value their time and downplaying their skill reduces the external demands on their time, or they have enough experience traveling the Dunning Kruger curve that they know well that a very functional knowledge of something still leaves more room to learn than they have time left on this earth.

1 Like