Arduino lab series?

Oh, one more thing. I have been asked to have the lab sessions more often than once per month.

Considerations include:

1. I want to submit each class for honorarium so that committees can get money. This means at least 10 days to submit one to the calendar. If we go every week, two sessions will have to be in the works simultaneously.
  2. The sessions need preparation. We can tag team this like we have been doing with Embedded Workshop. If we have enough people who want to lead a session, the load on any one person is not excessive and weekly sessions are feasible. I do not think I alone can maintain that pace indefinitely.
  3. It is not clear at this time how many people we will actually have turn out. The poll at the top seems to indicate that we have to book the Interactive Classroom and that will limit our choices of date and time somewhat.

In an ideal world, how often would you like to meet?

• Once a month
  • Once every three weeks
  • Once every other week
  • One a week

0 voters

Day of the week?

• Meet on the same day every time. Consistency is good.
  • Move it around and share the wealth so more people can attend some of them.

0 voters

1 Like

I plan to offer a class on a Tweeting alarm around August 1. Search Electronics for “burglar” to see my notes. It will show beginners a bit about the Arduino IDE to modify a provided program, download to a Wemos D1 Mini and wire up a switch. I’ll run it at least a week out from Bill’s class unless he goes weekly.

Its good to see the microcontroller interest and I’ll be glad to assist any way I can after I get mine under control. My parts for one class are hopefully on the slow boat from China now!

3 Likes

@Microrustyc Rusty, do we want to promote this to Embedded Workshop status?

Bill,
I am not sure what you are asking. If you mean can he teach this subject
at our Embedded Workshop that would be great. I think anyone who wants
to teach at the Embedded Workshop should teach. I am going to try to
make it by DMS this Wednesday. Hope to see you there.

Thanks
Rusty

Yes, I was asking whether his class should be the late July/early August installment.

Losing the Interactive Classroom on Wednesdays is a big problem for us.

Bill, It would be great if he can present in July. Maybe we can move the
workshop to Tuesday.

1 Like

I am guessing we should buy our own ardunio packages correct? (does DMS have ardunio equipment? I have not been there yet) What would you recommend? I was thinking this (https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Tutorial-Arduino/dp/B01D8KOZF4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497740144&sr=8-3&keywords=arduino) or this (https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Complete-Ultimate-TUTORIAL-Mega2560/dp/B01EWNUUUA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497740144&sr=8-6&keywords=arduino)

Yes, you should plan to buy your own kit if you think you want to pursue learning the Arduino. At one time, there were some UNO clones in the Electronics lab, but I do not know where they may be kept. We have given up trying to have breadboards because they keep walking away. There are lots of discrete parts, but we seem to never have the particular one needed.

Both of the kits you listed will work, but you should also look at the Inland kits at Micro Center to see what is on sale.

The Inland Uno and Pro Micro versions are both on sale right now.

The Mega is too, but they are out of stock as of when I was there early this afternoon.

I picked up a nice $200 Tinkerkit pack for $68 with 2 shields and a slew of add-on devices. They had one of those left and 2 of the smaller packs left that are under $30 each on clearance. I took them off the very top shelves and placed them down where normal people could see them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the report.

Here are the items they have left… They’ve been marked down several times:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=tinkerkit

1 Like

Tanner had four ARDX kits today and I bought them all. They will be available in my class for $10 each. I am only doing this for those who have not been able to find them at Tanner and I can use the ones which do not sell. This is not a reason to not try to get one yourself because I may not have enough for everyone who may want one.

2 Likes

I may be interested in joining the class and I will need a kit,

1 Like

I signed up for arduino basics. Everything you’re saying is a foreign language so I’ll just get what it said in the description…my goal is to finish the CNC mill I got the parts for earlier. Is this the right track for me to be on. Secondarily is someone if my noob status allowed to come to RBNO while I flounder around on it?

1 Like

THey are selling for 85 on Amazon?

I’m abit confused on all of this too. I had planned to stop by Tanner Electronics on my way into a class tomorrow morning,but now it sounds as if it has all been bought up? The links in the Arduino class were pointed to some decent-priced stuff (arduino board and testing kit), but the description said around $20 total. What exactly should I be looking to get?

The Adafruit, but the cheap chinese slave labor versions are half (or even less) then that

https://www.amazon.com/Seeedstudio-ARDX-Starter-Kit-Arduino/dp/B00S4FWFRO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1498251266&sr=8-9&keywords=ardx

Tanner’s appears to have a stash, because when they ‘sell out’ of their $9 version more seem to show up a few days later. So if they don’t have any on the shelf it is worth asking them if they have more in the back.

1 Like

Thanks! I"ll check them out early tomorrow morning and let ya’ll know what they have.

1 Like

Tanner’s is right next to DMS right? So they sell a lot of very cheap electronics?

1 Like

Yes, right across the street at the center adjacent to the street light.

P.S. they have good prices and some great prices, but I wouldn’t call them cheap.

Their biggest advantage is that you can buy small quantities for reasonable prices without paying for shipping. 100 resistors for $3-$4. without $7 in shipping