Anyone Want to Try Out Their Locksmithing Skills?

I’ve lost the key to my trailer hitch lock. It looks a lot like the image below (different brand, though). I’d rather not engage a pro locksmith if I can avoid it, so if anyone here with requisite skills wants to take a crack at it, I’d appreciate it. As well as be interested in observing the lock-picking process first hand!

Do you know if the key looks like that one? Specifically, is the bidding single sided and is it definitely like that and not a tubular cam lock? You might get lucky with just raking it for a bit… most of those types of locks are pretty low security and can often be raked or bumped.

It is a straight key, i.e. not cam lock:

If you don’t mind a destructive method, a little work with a hammer and pry bar usually knocks these loose.

If you had a raking tool, it would be worth a try. Unfortunately, I’m sure you don’t because why would you. The position of it combined with the distance off the ground will make single pin picking an annoyingly contortion-filled exercise; but should be relatively easy for someone with even mediocre picking skills. However, Tony’s method might be more fun (possibly a slide hammer to pull out the core, as well) – especially since even after it’s picked, you won’t have a key to use it in the future anyway.

If you happen to be there when I am, I could give it a shot… as I’m the textbook example of someone with mediocre picking skills. But I’m not sure what I’m going to be there next, and even calling myself mediocre might be giving me too much credit so success is less than guaranteed.

Using a little destructive force is always A-OK with me. :–) In this case since I don’t have a key, the sorted/quickest approach to getting this off is what I am interested in.

@SteveF: Let me see if I can get it sorted through one alternative I have and if needed I’ll check back in and see when you might be around…thanks.

Hooray…with a little help from a kind soul, the lock off came off pretty quickly with a little raking and picking. So thanks to everyone with suggestions and insights and actual hands-on skills.

4 Likes

Not if you used the automotive lift.

1 Like

Good point… I keep forgetting about the lift.

@mblatz – glad you got it free. I had a feeling that raking might help. It’s scary how 99% of what we rely on every day is merely “security theater”. The best we can hope in most cases is to make it too bothersome to deal with.

When my son tried to tell me that locking up his bike at school is a waste of time because people can get through bike locks easily, I said that that is true… but as long as there is a supply of bikes of equal or greater value without any locks, it doesn’t matter if his lock can be defeated in 5 seconds because that’s 5 seconds longer than the others. Like the joke says… you don’t have to out run the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy you’re with when the bear starts chasing you.

2 Likes

Even selecting a lock that isn’t susceptible to bypass driver, rapping attack (spring loaded latch) or comb attacks might get you above at least 25%, maybe 50% of the locks. Add spools and serrated driver pins, and you are probably above 75% of the padlocks.