Anyone Use, or Know Someone Who Uses, "Garage Condos"?

This is what Garages of Texas has to say about it on their website:

Prestige is less loquacious:

I assume you’ve already checked out his profile on their website, but just in case:
https://garagesoftexas.com/about/#sean-gans
Like long walks on the beach…oh wait. I mean, recent graduate of Texas Tech and hasn’t really worked for anyone other than CDC (the developer for Garages of Texas)…

Airport hangar? They sound cool, but I’ve never really looked into buying/leasing/renting one…

CoO he is. Child of Owner. Not that it takes anything away from him.

1 Like

I’ve been in contact with Sean at Garages of Texas. He sent me an email and I’ve attached several files to this post describing the property on Marsh lane in Carrollton. (Sorry for the quality of the image as the PDF was too large to upload) They have a number of others you just need to go to https://garagesoftexas.com/garages/ to see where.

At the Marsh site they sell for between $135,500 and $277,000 or so. The square footage is between a n 800 and 1600 sqft. There are a number of amenities included as part of the package. (see the other attached document) No mention has been made of HOA fees, but I’m sure there are some.

I’m going to tour a couple of them next week. I think owning vs renting storage/hobby/shop space makes a lot of sense. This is literally “down the street” for me since I live less than 10 miles away. You can make these into a home-away-from-home kind of place pretty easily, too. You can build a showroom like space of just use it for all of your hobbies etc. Hopefully, when it comes time to sell it you’ll actually make a little money on the sale. They are plenty roomy at 20x35x20 (ceilings are 20-22ft tall) There is a mezzanine in all of the units, too.

The concept is very interesting. Look at all of the storage buildings around full of people’s stuff. Now imagine if instead of a couple-three hundred a month rent you could own the space and pay a mortgage of maybe a grand instead. Carrollton Standard and Common Amenities.pdf (480.6 KB)

I still think that these are pricey, but compared to other alternatives to store a housefull of inherited stuff until we can determine its final disposition it has some appeal for me.

Sort of like buying your kid a house in the college town he goes to college in and reselling it for a profit when he graduates. They have to have a place to live anyway so why not own the place they live and rent out part of it to classmates?

1 Like

Not hanger. Specifically marketed as hobby shops and small business shops. Most tenants are auto related, but a small number of sawdust makers and other niche businesses.

1 Like

Apart from the possible socialization with like minded parties, why not just buy another house/garage?
I understand the attraction is more likely than not the social interaction, and possibly the I got one factor.

P.S. I would have a common area in the back for donuts if I were to build a facility like that.

1 Like

At those prices, you might have a point. Of course, there’s always those pesky insurance rules requiring homes be occupied, among other difficulties, I’m sure…
Plus, in that area, you probably won’t touch any kind of hovel for a mere $135k (to be fair, I haven’t shopped that neighborhood recently).

1 Like

You can serve donuts in the clubhouse… I’m sure your neighbors won’t mind! /s

In my case, it is a matter of upkeep/home maintenance. If you purchase a home instead there are the little things like yard work, painting periodically, fencing repairs, neighbors who complain of too much noise or too many cars in the yard, vacancy or tenancy expectations, etc.

My dad had a similar shop to the garages place when I was growing up. He had his welding equipment, overhead hoists, machine shop gear, automotive tools, a stored boat etc there. It was a real treat as a young boy to accompany him there to “tinker”, fix stuff or just to pick up the boat for water skiing or fishing.

3 Likes

I have trouble justifying higher price per square foot than my house. I get that there is more cost to the 50 foot wide drives, and concrete block construction, but the basically complete lack of interior finishout makes it tough to justify.

2 Likes

I meant these kinds of donuts. :smiley:

I miss tinkering. Good thing DMS exists!

Maybe they’re for donuts. :smiley:

2 Likes

I received some additional information on the Garages of Texas from Sean. Financing Sheet.pdf (474.3 KB)

I never went out to view a property, but considering you need to come up with 20% down or around $25-$30K and the mortgage is a 5 year balloon it just isn’t going to work for me. I already thought the ~$200 /sq ft was too high. My beautiful home in north Carrollton isn’t that much. The mortgage conditions just make it an unreasonable solution for me.

I’ll be looking around for another solution to my out-of-space/hobby needs problem.

1 Like

I’ve often dreamed of doing something like this. It’s basically the same thing at a bit more reasonable cost.

2 Likes

I wonder how many makers we could get who would be willing to “buy/own” a shared space? Somewhere that we could store pretty much anything, have a place for hobbies and tools of our own, while developing a little community, too.

It would not be another Makerspace, but instead a home base to work from.

The Garages of Texas concept is a very interesting one, but just not priced well for the average maker.

4 Likes

At their pricing and terms, I think I could buy an empty lot outside a HOA, and have something built more affordably.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. I think the real purpose of these Garages is to “show off” your automobiles among fellow car enthusiasts and to drink beer and fellowship with the same crowd. They are absolutely a high end place to park your cars. If your car collection is worth more than a million dollars though a couple hundred grand is not going to kill you to store them in an air conditioned space you can call a home away from home.

2 Likes