Anyone Use, or Know Someone Who Uses, "Garage Condos"?

I’ve been enviously watching these things pop up all over the metroplex, and wishing I’d thought of it and/or could figure out how to buy in to the investment side (and having a unit to myself might also appeal if the location were conducive). So, anyone have any opinions on them (preferably first-hand, or second-hand, but I’ll settle for anything you want to throw out there)?
example:
Garages of Texas
(There MUST be others; I’d love to have links to them, too!)
Thanks for reading!

1 Like

There is also

http://prestige-garages.com/

The web site is out of date, as it appears from the road that they are fully built out.

And I have never seen any online info about approximate market values, or HOA dues.

1 Like

Ah yes. They’re the first of these I noticed. Couldn’t remember the name, and search-fu was failing me…

Garages of Texas states (in a “news interview”) $60,000-$600,000 to buy. Nothing about HOA except that they exist (and, in reality, they MUST for this “condo” type of venture)…

This is relevant to my interests. I’d honestly not care whether it would be ‘liveable’ I just want an inexpensive place to keep my car + tools. Having a bathroom available would be a requirement so that if you’re working on a car that you don’t have to go somwhere. AC would be my next ask, but not a requirement.

1 Like

Sounds a lot like http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php

Garages, storage, museum, and meeting rooms. We had a catered dinner there after a work event along with a guided tour to look at the garages and cars stored and on display. Amazing place.

1 Like

Can confirm that there is an owner’s association for each installation/location.

1 Like

There would need to be to keep the Range Rovers out. You can never stop all the leaks from them! :clown_face:

2 Likes

Someone can rent my garage if you would like.

3 Likes

Not with the threat of the googley-eyed yardbird of death looming…

4 Likes

AKA direct home defense

1 Like

Please don’t rent your garage out.

1 Like

I would love a large shop. 60-600k is for sure a lot of money.

I drew up plans for my house/shop years ago. It would have been about 115k with land with a 80x60 Shop & a loft for the house. I even put in fire sprinklers into the drawing. But that never materialized past the funding stage.

1 Like

So they cost $60,000 to $600,000 to buy? Wow. I filled out the info to check out the one in Carrollton which is under construction. That is a lot to spend on a “hobby”.

1 Like

The clientele they appeal to probably has complex tax returns and an embarrassment of vehicles valued at sums nearing the average home price in the region.

2 Likes

They certainly aspire to this clientele…

I’m embarrassed to admit that financing the low end of that range may be cheaper than what I currently spend on storage combined. If everything would fit, and have some room for growth, it might make sense.

And if I ever become foolish enough to set a bunch of rivets in an aluminum frame, none of my current storage would allow me to run my compressor and air tools a few hours a day, which seems in the scope of these places.

1 Like

I just got an email from Sean below.

Looking forward to speaking with you soon!

Sean Gans
Garages Of Texas
[email protected]
c: (214) 498-6508

I’m thinking about checking the Carrollton location out. I, like many of you have TOO MUCH STUFF, and I don’t like the idea of paying to store it at one of the plethora of storage places in town, but owning a piece of real estate might make some sense.

We’ll just have to see about the overall affordability of the proposition.

1 Like

Thank you for taking this on!
I’m very curious.
Especially about the HOA dues, maintenance, other fees, and the increases allowed thereto, etc. it’s one thing to plunk down $60,000 on a chunk of real estate; it’s another to have a 6% annual increase in “maintenance fees” built in to the monthlies…

Also curious about aisle width/access and door size for this sort of thing. One of my storage spaces is 11x30 with a 14 foot tall door, for a boat that is 27 feet long on trailer, almost 13 feet tall, and roughly max legal width.

1 Like

What part of town are you in? There is something like what you describe in the Alliance area.
Well, that is if $390/mo is inexpensive enough.

1 Like