Anyone need a project: Free (!) Haas Lathe

Free 1998 Haas HL-2 in Joshua (Halfway between Cleburne and Burleson) Only about 9,000 pounds…

2 Likes

@Mrholthaus @TBJK @Tres0422

hmmm… you guys want a CNC lathe?

Probably very dead and in need of new spindle drive or something fun like that . I would say that is a 9000 pound money pit .

Seems to be the current owner’s opinion.

Of course we have a few more resources than the typical shop. I wasn’t suggesting DMS get it. Where would be put it?

It would likely cost 5-6k to move unless you have the equipment to unload it.

Really? I’d have expected 2 K or so. Been a while since I’ve had to hire riggers.

Yep. 3k just to have them move stuff next door for us in June 2020. And that’s with a “know your rigger discount”. Add another end on the operation.

2 Likes

That was the buddy discount?

Yep. I didn’t lean on him too hard. However he still gives me shit anytime I talk to him.

1 Like

No renting forklifts huh?

Renting a forklift capable would lead to renting a truck and trailer capable of towing said forklift. Given the forklift would be close to 20k in weight, that means a CDL.

Renting a capable gantry and chain falls from LGH would be possible but then you are quickly to the cost of what a rigger is. Last time I rented a gantry from them (2019) was 2.5k for a 2 ton with extensions and beam.

and this, at 9000 pounds, would require at least a 5 ton. In truth you’d want margin on that so maybe 8 ton.

I’d intended the original post to be tongue-in-cheek. I guess I should have included a :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If gantry were my option, I’d go for 2 3 ton gantries. The gantry would only be used to lift the equipment onto the trailer. I’d use jacks to get it on skates to move it around. 9K isn’t to terribly hard to move on skates. It’s when you get to about 30k when it gets a bit more difficult.

You all are going about this the wrong way! Popeye spinach compilation - YouTube

1 Like

Did the ad not say all or part ? Could that control panel be transplanted to our HAAS ? Looks newer than what we have.

I believe that the guy was actually trying to auction it on Facebook. Max said he inadvertently inquired and it was at 2k then.

1 Like

Gone now in any event.

2 Likes