Anyone into synthesis video/audio or otherwise

Not really a synthesis chip, but more for sound effects, is the TI SN76477N. Around 1980 I build up box with TI’s demonstration circuit. It was amazing the number of sounds it could produce. In later years I sold it to make room for more ‘other’ stuff. I rue the day I sold it.

1 Like

Nice to meet you, Jordan!

Overall my experience is in sound design and synthesis but in a career as long and varied as mine, you end up involved in a lot of other aspects of the industry.

Overall I have some ideas about an audiotronics class (something my knowledge base is somewhat of beginner/intermediate level worth).

I feel that everyone would be able to benefit from at least a basics class to make/repair their own cables, solder patchbays, etc.

But I think an advanced class with circuit bending, pedal kits, euro-kit building, etc. would be awesome as well as an even more advanced circuit design/build class or group.

It was be great to have a group of us that does builds and etc that meets up every so often. We could easily do group buys (with even bigger discounts or maybe exclusive kits provided by some of the manufacturers I work with), etc.

This sort of crosses over into the electronics department as well though and I’m not integrated in the politics and procedures of DMS to get something of that scale going just yet. There are also others that would be more appropriate to teach these things than myself.

I’d love to talk with people that are interested in getting this going though.

Otherwise, the other curriculum topics I have in mind are along the lines of the following:

*All for Music + Audio Post and all classes I’ve taught for a multitude of years.

Intro to Audio

Field recording

Sound/Music Editing

Archival

Midi

Tracking

Sequencing

Sound Design and Synthesis

Mixing 2.0 + Surround

Podcasting

Location Audio

I also have a lot of experience in photography, video, grfx and editing of all the above disciplines.u

Making this a reality is a different story and I’ll save the rant I just typed about how difficult it is to make things a happen for this department for a more appropriate conversation.

All I’ll say is that if anyone wants to make things happen, then please… get in touch.

~ James “Jaret” Kojac

Just ran across the: Sonic Pi (as in Raspberry Pi).
https://sonic-pi.net/
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/getting-started-with-sonic-pi

Cross posted to

I haven’t had a lot of time for a while now, and a new urgent project is going to consume most of the next couple of weekends I suspect.

I did get some rack cases for my synths and get them mounted. Still some wiring to do, then I’ll be in a more portable configuration. As noted above, my first project on the DIY side will be a Eurorack case / enclosure. I have parts in hand to solder up some cabling / patch panels for my MIDI gear. ( I’ll get back to working on that once I get my home network fixed. Got a lightning hit 10 days ago, and am using that as an excuse to upgrade to gigabit. )

One aside: perhaps we could move the recruiting for digital media to it’s own thread and keep the synth discussion here. While there is some overlap, I think both would be better served with separate threads.

Interesting, but that to me seems like a really hateful interface on which to play music. Especially live.

“Muscle memory” would be next to impossible with that setup unless maybe they have it set to cue routines from external control devices. I did see some midi commands go by, so that may be. ( I just took a quick skim. )

Sega MegaDrive based synth. Me likey!

2 Likes

This looks interesting -

I’ve been into this stuff for a long time. Used to have a circuit bent Yamaha keeb or two. I had a Boss DS-1 circuit bent (really worth it if you ever get a chance to look into it) and a few Devi Ever pedals. I’m down to goof around with circuit bends / help teach a couple workshops on some of the best general rules of thumb to work with.

And I’ve done plenty of chiptune/ 8 bit synthesis. Subtractive FM stuff. BASIC64 and Megadrive VST are my two main gotos

Video synthesis is something i’ve wanted to get into but it seems the modern video synths arent as analog and are mostly just raspberry pi code?

Picked up a free keyboard this week from another member and this project will slowly move forward.

Turns out that arcade game sound board is almost identical to the Sequential Six Trak synth’s CPU board. I’ll just have to modify a couple of points to add in another RAM and ROM chip then build out the keyboard and controls circuitry. I think there may be about 6 caps to change out in the CEM circuits. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d love to learn more about this. Fixing arcade game boards and having a boneyard of PCBs gives me plenty of access to various Yamaha sound chips and DACs. I just need to know what to do with them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes