Anyone Interested in an Internet Safety / Beginner Cybersecurity Class?

I posted about this in the General category and got some good feedback on the course material, so I’m going to try to get a more formal headcount here:

Anyone interested in the following?

The aim of this class is to help people avoid identity theft, stolen passwords, hacked bank accounts, and the scams we get in our email inboxes on a daily basis. If you’ve been in the IT field for decades, this probably isn’t for you. But if you’ve had experience with any of the above issues, or would like a refresher on safe surfing, let me know. Topics would include antivirus programs, staying safe on public wifi networks, how to create strong passwords (you might be surprised at one of the options), tips to detect fake (spoofed) emails, ways to store/remember your passwords, what NOT to do in the workplace (*cough* shared logins *cough*), using two-factor authentication, incognito/private web browser tabs, helping older/less savvy relatives stay safe, and several others. Will probably be a series of two or three classes. Will be a discussion format with plenty of time for Q&A as we go along. Not claiming to address everything or make any guarantees; just looking to help educate students on the issues.

3 Likes