Anyone interested in a Virtual Reality and Modern Gaming SIG/Committee?

I am aware that there had been some interest in Virtual Reality (VR) in the past and am looking for a few more members that may be interested in pursuing such technology for the space as well as other modern gaming such as xbox, playstation, etc.
If you are interested please let me know and I can go into further detail.

Thanks and I hope you have a great day!

3 Likes

I am interested and 20 characters

1 Like

I am interested and while I am a PC/IOS player, I would consider getting a console if this takes off!

I would like to find a time to meet and discuss. When would be a good time to Meet possibly at DMS? I am free after 3pm on Saturday through Monday and late evenings through the week. I can set something up on the calendar if we can solidify a day and time.

Bumping to check if there’s still interest among any members.

What would a modern gaming SIG do? LAN parties?
Or just chat about what’s going on in gaming these days?

Speaking of VR… has anybody tried ImaginationsVR in Allen? Read something about it and it sounded interesting. Basically VR by the hour - opportunity to try a number of games and hardware. I haven’t made it over there yet but hope to soon.

1 Like

That was something similar to the idea we were looking to create.

Allowing access for members to VR to introduce the newer technology I believe would help in several ways, as many see the cost of ownership as a barrier. It is a concept that could morph and change over time, but to try something new would likely bring interest for new members. Once a member base is established, we could begin investing in coding/modding VR, having classes about new developments, bring concepts to fruition, develop new applications, etc.

@tombakerftw I am open to other ideas and really think it could be of great asset to DMS. I would even be willing to teach a few classes, do a basic 101 Intro to VR, proper handling, equipment, choices, etc. Let me know if you want to hear more ideas and how it could work, etc. I am at DMS most evenings more often than not.

Yes, classes, please!

Definitely interested in hearing your ideas on VR classes.

My experience with VR was limited to playing with Tiltbrush at a warehouse rave for about ten minutes.
I don’t think the headset was calibrated properly and I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be for my first VR experience.

At the very least we need a HTC Vive 101 class so that members feel comfortable using the equipment that we have.

I’m going to be at the space this Saturday for most of the day (There’s a calendar event posted, look for me in the Digital Media room)
Please come say ‘hi’ if you’re going to be around. I’d love to talk with you about getting some classes on the calendar.

I’m definitely interested as well! I’d love to get into VR or gaming development. I code but all my experience is with traditional website/web app focus so I assume this would be a world of difference.

Yes I am interested in it as both a gamer and a twitch streamer!

1 Like

I am new to the makerapace, but am farely involved and passionate about VR, AR, and the emerging technologies in the field of XR. I would love to make that a point of involvement for myself and hear others ideas.
I also am lucky enough to have access to an Oculus Rift and a few of the different mobile headsets released this month,.as well as a projector and mapping software for projected augmented reality.

1 Like

Vector might would do this as a sig.

The next Vector committee meeting is Friday. So check the calendar