Anyone here work with the Unreal Game Engine?

Software developer here. Trying to learn Unreal. Would love to know if there is anyone at DMS who I can go to for questions or mentorship?

I am hoping to learn how to build a simple game, and maybe even use it to simulate environments for robotics.

I was thinking we could also do a small study group or maybe a DMS game jam?

3 Likes

I did some stuff back in college for my computer game design class using the Unreal Engine. That was over 10 years ago and I think if I tried to help it would just make things worse. Sadly, the game developers I do know very seldomly have freetime.

Let me know if you start a study group.

Just checking to see if you went ahead with Unreal. You might want to check out Unity. It is much more simple that Unreal.

1 Like

I actually started looking into Godot!

1 Like

Iā€™m actually getting started with Unreal, if you end up switching back let me know!

I once considered Unreal but last time I checked the license was about 500,000 I believe. So its fine to goto the trouble of learning it for fun and knowledge, but you will more than likely never profit from it :/.
Im a big fan of DirectX based SDKs tho so if you do start a study group (especially just for 3d rendering programming in general) Id def be interested. I was even considering running a DirectX ā€œBuild your own 3D rendering engineā€ like 6-week course one day if there was enough demand.

Either way Im almost always looking for indie teams to work with if youre ever looking for some extra hands too! :smiley:

That is unrealā€¦

I have collected quite a few books on DirectX over the years, but never had a real need to use it. I would be interested in class(es.)

1 Like

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/432163/does-unreal-have-a-licensing-fee-and-if-so-is-it-t.html
heres the licensing/unlicensed rules and cost (seems its 300k maybe?)

I am interested collaborating with others in the Unreal Editor 4.
I have an Oculus Quest so I can do VR too.
Is UE4 installed here at DMS somewhere already?
It is best to have UE4 on a Windoze machine, but Linux works too.
I have already compiled it elsewhere on Linux if that helps.

Unreal Engine 4 is now free to download , and all future updates will also be free . Developers of commercially released games or applications will pay Epic a 5 percent royalty on gross revenue above $3,000 per product, per quarter.

To develop VR for the Oculus Quest: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/concepts/unreal-engine/?locale=en_US

If the software is not installed, could it be and how do I submit a request?

2 Likes

Come to the Digital Media Meeting Saturday 27th at noon. We will be discussing the new software stack which will probably be Unity and Unreal. Iā€™m working on funding for 4 wireless VR/AR headsets ?Oculus Quest? & proper graphic workstations. Iā€™ll find out Aug 6th if we will be helping people obtain Unity Certifications.

3 Likes

Unreal Engine is now on DM1 in digital media should be on 2 as well tomorrow. 3 by the end of the week

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to Access DM3 from jump server

UPDATE: I have successfully compiled a simple Unreal Level and installed it on an Oculus Quest! Hurray! I will continue tinkering with UE4.

2 Likes