Anyone got some scrap 1/2" steel plate?

I’m helping a friend set up an outdoor steel target tire and we are trying to hunt down a scrap piece of 1/2" steel plate or thicker the size of a paper plate or more. He’s a welder and can torch it to shape as needed. Let me know if you have some or have a source for a piece of scrap please - thanks.

Fulton in Denton or Coremark(Formerly Discount Steel) in North Fort Worth. I was at Coremark Saturday picking up some cold rolled. They had plenty in that size range. .35 a lb

1 Like

What caliber is this for? It may determine what minimum grade of steel you need. Thickness will get you around bending. It won’t get you past impact cratering. I’ve seen some hot (not m855) 5.56 damage (crater) larger AR500 targets. Some target manufacturers don’t rate A36 for more than 22LR.

When I was at MetalSupermarkets in Plano about three weeks ago, they had various drops available as well, some 1” or thicker.

Pay by the lb, Their pricing was much higher: <$1.50/lb iirc, but in small quantities if they are closer if might be cheaper overall.

this would be primarily for pistol rounds